Male hair colouring is the greatest taboo of all. Now I know some of you will be hardened colour heads – you’ve done the surfer Sunkist look, worn the dusted blonde Beckham Mohawk with pride – until he missed THAT penalty – but how many of you have considered colouring you hair to sharpen up your already good looks or to emphasise that great new haircut? It may also be that the time has come to cover some grey hair, and these days you don’t have to go for the Berlusconi black out style.
Colouring hair can do much more than, well, just changing the colour of your hair. A lot of the queries on my last article related to those males with very fine or thinning hair, and what they should do to combat it. Well, if you have fine hair or are thinning a bit on top, professional colour products can swell each individual hair by at least 20% of its original thickness as well as enhancing the colour of the finer shorter down hairs which sit closer to your skin (scalp). This makes them more prominent and visible, giving the appearance of more hair, particularly when using a darker colour.
Combine this colouring effect with a great thickening shampoo or lotion and you can begin to feel much more confident about your thinning locks.
Combating & Enhancing Grey Hair
There are also some simple tricks you can use to give grey hair an edge. If you don’t want to cover it up then try using a silver shampoo such as Schwarzkopf BC Colour Save Silver Shampoo or Philip Kingsley Pure Silver Shampoo [see recommended products below]. These specialist products are designed to cleanse the hair of any absorbed contaminates such as cooking oils, smoke and pollutants in general, grey, blond or bleached hair – as these will tend to develop yellowy tones as a result. It also contains a violet pigment which neutralises the unwanted yellowness, eliminating dulling tones by adding a shimmering brightness to grey and white hair.
Silver shampoo is ideal if you have a small amount of grey/white hair (just at the sides or sprinkled throughout the hair), but even if you have a total white out it will give good results. Remember to only use twice a week if you shampoo daily and once a week if you shampoo less than five times in a week.
The thing that most people don’t like about grey hair is not the colour but the ageing effect it has. Believe it or not having a subtle and even tan (from the neck up) can make a difference to your whole look as it evens up your complexion which instantly looks healthier and more youthful. I’m not suggesting you go and bake your face at the local tanning salon, there are some great gradual tan products for men, which will moisturise and gradually develop to give you a healthy, natural-looking tan. Ones of note to try are Nivea Gradual Tan for Men Moisturiser and No7 For Men Gradual Tan Face.
Remember to keep in mind Duncan’s commandments for fake tanning.
Colouring Your Hair Tips and Jargon
- As with my previous article check out the salon beforehand and discuss with the stylist in detail about EXACTLY what you want and the look you are going for.
- Keep it looking as natural as possible and avoid going darker or too much lighter (only applies if highlighting or if you are a natural blonde) than your present hair colour.
- Stay away from warm or gold colours and ask for a slightly matt finish – not high gloss.
- Same colour eyebrows isn’t a good look, the stylist should match the colour to your features not the other way round.
- Wear shorter hair styles and have it cut regularly.
- Colour technician – this is a hairdresser that colours only – a specialist.
- Semi-permanent colour is a temporary colour which will gradually fade out over 4-6 weeks.
- Highlights/lowlights – both the same application method, may be used to describe darker or lighter colour – covers less hair so a more subtle finish.
- Schwarzkopf Professional Bc Bonacure Color Save Conditioner 200ml
- Philip Kingsley Pure Silver Shampoo 250ml
- Nivea For Men – Nivea For Men Gradual Tan Moisturiser
- No7 For Men Gradual Tan Face Spf 15
- Kérastase Homme Bain Capital Force Densifying Effect Daily Treatment Shampoo 250ml
- Redken Thickening Lotion 06 150ml