New Year, New Style
So with Christmas out of the way and most of wondering if we’re going to need to go up a waist size just for the sales, it’s time we start looking forward. Traditionally, this means that we all make a bunch of promises we have no intention of keeping so I thought I would do the same here, sartorially speaking, but these ones I am going to keep! Promise…
- The Big Clear Out – Time to trim the fat! January is not just the time for a detox from junk food and alcohol you know, it should apply to your wardrobe as well. This year I intend to finally start looking through the clothes I’ve accumulated over the last two years and decide whether I still need them or not. The two rules I’m going by are – have I worn it in the last 6-9 months? And does it still fit me? If the item does not fit within these requirements it’s gone. This way I can lose all the clothes that no longer fit or flatter me and finally get rid of all those shirts and jeans that I never wear but keep just in case. But I will need to be honest with myself!
- Invest, Invest, Invest – I know this is something that I always seem to make a point of but you know how hard it is to actually practice what you preach! But this New Year I am planning to follow my advice to the letter. With every new item that I want to buy I’m going to make sure that it is a versatile piece, I can use it with plenty of other pieces in my wardrobe, but is still classic and stylish enough to be used for a couple of years to come. Time to move away from trends and fashion and invest in style.
- Get a Great Rack – This one really should be top of the list because it’s something that I need soooo bad. I try really hard to look after my footwear because I know that if I do, they will last for some time to come. However, there comes a time when the number of shoes takes over the level of maintenance that can be done. These days I have more shoes tucked in draws and shelves than I do clothes. So I need to invest a quality shoe rack with a couple of levels to it so that I can keep them all in one place and not all on top of one another.
- Buy Some Bling – this is the last frontier that I have yet to conquer and one that has been on my mind for a while now. See, male jewellery has always been something that bothered me because it just doesn’t fit in with my ethos of how I like to dress myself – classic, versatile, masculine pieces combined in intriguing ways. Jewellery, in its smooth, shiny, perfect nature, never really seemed to fit into that. However, recently I’ve changed my mind. With help of an independent jeweller (and there are more of them out there than you think) you have the ability to modify an item to your own taste. It can be made to look more rough and rugged; that little bit more lived in which I think male jewellery should be. Keep your eyes peeled for an up and coming article on my adventures and what I discovered!
- Tux up – enough said really. The only decision I need to make is whether to go for a classic old-hollywood black, grosgrain shawl collar number or go a bit more out there with something in Midnight blue or a deep burgundy. Choices choices…
So guys, what are your New Year’s Resolutions in terms of fashion and becoming an overall better man with style? We would LOVE TO HEAR THEM because it may just inspire other people to do the same. So just throw them down in the comments below…