Eddie Redmayne is a name that many would not have recognised mere months ago. Educated at Eton and Cambridge, he had bubbled under the radar for a number of years with a string of minor supporting roles as both an actor and model.
That was until his starring role in the critically acclaimed ‘My Week with Marilyn’ as Colin Clark, a man who was allegedly romantically involved with the pin-up herself.
One to Watch
This one role has catapulted Redmayne into the public eye and, with that, a number of appearances that have highlighted his ability to wear clothes and not let them wear him – the true art of any icon.
Redmayne has also landed the coveted position as the face of Burberry, alongside Cara Delevingne (another British up and comer). This year is his second campaign with the British juggernaut, the first being in 2008. See the full write-up in our fashion news section.
Eddie Redmayne Lookbook
Style Breakdown: Formal
Red carpet appearances have so far been Redmayne’s bread and butter. The lookbook above underlines his penchant for slim fitted clothing, something that has been ever-present in his more formal attire.
Clean lined, well fitted and often unassuming tailoring has been the main weapon in Redmayne’s red carpet arsenal, something he has utilised to create a sterling silhouette time and time again.
Redmayne should also be credited for his solid choice of footwear. Often avoiding the traditional and plain, he often opts for those with a tactile element, detailed or distressed (but never sloppy) aesthetic, which puts a subtle individual stamp on his outfits.
It certainly would not be out of the question to liken some of Mr Redmayne’s red carpet looks to those of current man of the hour (or year) Ryan Gosling. The slim fit tailoring, minimalistic accessories and the confidence to mix it up and wear patterns are all akin to Gosling’s winning formal formula.
Eddie Redmayne Style Essentials
- Asos Slim Fit Check Suit In Navy
- Darcy 1 Button Peak Dinner Suit Black
- Alexander Mcqueen Check Wool Suit Jacket
- Asos Geo Print Pocket Square
- Austin Reed 110th Anniversary Silk Handkerchief
- J.crew Downtown Wool Tie
- Forzieri Small Paisley Print Wool And Silk Reversible Mens Scarf
- Pretty Green By Liam Gallagher Shawl Collar Cardigan
- Denim Merino Blend V-neck Jumper
- Topman Walter Hi Shine Postman Shoe
- Asos Washed Leather Derby Shoes With Leather Sole
- Grenson Roger Suede Derby Shoes
Style Breakdown: Casual
Redmayne’s casual attire is far less documented but, much like his formalwear, it retains the slim fitted, minimalistic characteristics. He keeps accessories to a minimum – although makes good use of scarves in varying shades of blue (in both formal and informal) to compliment his hair and skin tone.
A reoccurring standout of Mr Redmayne’s wardrobe is the double-breasted coat. The pea and trench coat are regular favourites, the latter a pre-requisite for any Burberry model. Along with anything breasted twice over, the trench coat is also a firm favourite here at FashionBeans with a collective of articles being written on this timeless piece.
- The Ultimate Trench Coat Guide
- How To Wear: The Trench Coat – Autumn/Winter
- How To Wear: The Trench Coat – Spring/Summer
Along with the trench, the pea coat is another piece that has resisted the grasps of time. Originally worn in the navy, the pea coat is characterised by wide lapels and it’s double-breasted nature. The coat has become a staple for many men and its popularity has only been heightened by the continuing military influences.
Often styling his with a set of grey jeans and a check shirt, Redmayne uses staple clothing to great effect. A black pea coat works exceptionally well for Redmayne as the colour compliments his (if you’ll forgive me) red mane, freckled features and skin tone. This also applies to his use of blue tones [see top row centre in lookbook] – the red and ginger tints of his complexion and hair again work perfectly and compliment the blue hues.
Eddie Redmayne Style Essentials
- Reiss Winchester Db Belt Trench Dark Grey
- Burberry London Trench 37 Cotton Gabardine Coat
- Lyle & Scott Heritage Double Breasted Pea Coat
- Levis Navy Buffalo Check Shirt
- Marc By Marc Jacobs Steel Blue Contrast Button Shirt
- Allsaints Lexington Blazer
- Topman Black Shawl Collar Jumper
- J Lindeberg Lymann Merino Grey Knit
- J.crew Cotton Chambray Shirt
- Allsaints Tumble Cigarette Jeans
- Topman Black Stretch Skinny Jeans
- Asos Slim Cord Chino
- Topman Hudson Rafferty 2 Brogue
- Paul Smith Shoes & Accessories Distressed Classic Leather Brogues
- Paul Smith Shoes Taupe Burnished Suede Cesar Boots
You’ve probably become more than fed up of all the obligatory new year declarations. But for Eddie Redmayne, 2012 is set up to be his breakout year.
Redmayne finished 2011 on top with nothing but praise for his performance in My Week with Marilyn, and 2012 has started just as strong with his striking Burberry campaign.
If the rest of this year carries on in this vein, Eddie Redmayne will be in position to cement his style credentials and establish himself as a true style icon and not just one to watch out for.