Switching It Up for Spring Summer
Although ‘the devil’s in the details’ is a mantra to live by year-round, it’s advice all the more worthwhile heeding during the warmer months.
You might be able to put together a solid, Insta-worthy look with a killer jacket or coat during autumn/winter, but as the seasons change and we begin to strip back the layers, it’s important to pay attention to the finer points of your outfits.
These are the details that make all the difference:
‘Mankles’ & No-Show Socks
If we learned anything from our recent analysis of the current state of the ‘mankle’, it’s that ankle-baring is still a wholly stylish move that will help elevate your warm-weather looks.
A flash of flesh from a turned-up, pin-rolled or cropped hem is a summer sartorial signifier nowadays – and it’s also definitely best achieved with the help of some ‘secret’ socks.
These nifty little socklets will stop your soles from stinking and keep your feet free of blisters, while also facilitating on point ankle-baring (i.e. no unsightly bits of fabric peeping above the line of your shoe).
Practical and aesthetically pleasing – when done properly – a bare ankle is definitely a detail that’ll make a difference both to your style and sweat factor this season.
- Topman Black Invisible Liner Socks
- Invisible Trainer Socks In White
- He By Mango 2 Pack Invisible Socks
- Pringle No Show Trainer Socks In 3 Pack
- Falke Step Invisible Cotton-blend Socks
- Dore Dore Invisible Socks
Derided as an icon of unforgivably bad taste since the early aughts, distressed denim is back in a big way, and it’s not just for Z-list reality TV show stars this time around.
Perfectly chiming with menswear’s new toughened-up aesthetic, ripped or worn-in jeans will add a rugged and relaxed feel to your off-duty attire until shorts weather arrives in earnest.
While pre-distressed denim is available in abundance at various price points, there’s something to be said for taking the task on yourself. Carefully make a few artful slashes with a scalpel and wash at a low temperature to create your own uniquely frayed pair.
- Nudie Jeans Tube Tom Jimmy Replica Jeans
- Asos Extreme Super Skinny Jeans With Knee Rips
- Asos Extreme Super Skinny Jeans With Rip
- Allsaints Keiko Cigarette Jeans
- Allsaints Chika Cigarette Jeans
- Allsaints Ravekine Cigarette Jeans
- He By Mango Skinny Vintage Wash Jude Jeans
- He By Mango Straight-fit Dark Marc Jeans
- River Island Mid Wash Ripped Sid Skinny Stretch Jeans
Lightweight Scarves & Neckerchiefs
Purely decorative accessories, a lightweight scarf or neckerchief can be used to inject flair into any outfit, whether you’re sporting summer suiting or teaming a short-sleeved shirt with some chino shorts.
When it comes to fabrics, something in silk will lend a more formal, dressier touch, while a cotton design will add some Riviera panache – either way, this is an effortless way to individualise your smarter looks once the mercury rises.
- He By Mango Printed Scarf
- He By Mango Lightweight Cotton Scarf
- Zara Paisley Print Foulard
- Canali Polka-dot Silk Scarf
- J. Crew Sun-faded Cotton Scarf
- Saint Laurent Paisley-print Cotton And Silk-blend Scarf
- Saint Laurent Printed Cotton Bandana
- Junya Watanabe Printed Scarf
- Topman Navy Washed Bandana
Mirrored/Coloured Sunglasses Lenses
Do most classic sunglasses styles make you snooze? Adding a statement element to these most essential of summer accessories could be just the cure.
Coloured lenses really made their presence felt last year and their popularity shows no signs of waning in 2015, remaining one of the key trends in opticals.
A standout coloured or mirrored lens gives a timeless frame a contemporary edge. A word of advice: refrain from matching your lens to other key colours you’re wearing – doing so will push your look over the line from considered to overkill.
Wear them with confidence and you can’t go too far wrong.
- He By Mango Tortoiseshell Sunglasses
- Selected Bahamas Round Sunglasses
- Ray-ban Round Polarised Sunglasses
- Ray-ban Clubmaster Sunglasses
- Aviator Red Revo Lens Sunglasses In Gold
- Topman Tmd Gold Revo Lens Glasses
- Cutler And Gross Mirrored Aviator Sunglasses
- Thom Browne Metal And Acetate Mirrored Aviator Sunglasses
- Ray-ban Rb4202 Andy Rectangular Framed Sunglasses Blue
If ankle-baring is too tame a statement for you, or if you’d rather not bare yours at all, opting for a contrast turned up hem is an easy alternative to pep up your look.
Keep your eye out for legwear that features an already sewn-in contrast turn-up, or designs with a lining in an alternative colour or pattern. Integrating this subtle detail into your outfit can lift something as pedestrian as a plain T-shirt and chino shorts combination to an all-new level.
If you can’t find what you’re looking for in stores, consider taking the custom route on this one. Get in touch with your tailor who’ll be able to advise you on sourcing a contrast fabric and fitting it so that it’s visible with a single fold upwards.
A fixture in fair-weather wardrobes since around 2013, our appetite for the statement sleeve is still strong judging by the slew of styles available – and it’s easy to see why: it’s the perfect way of adding a point of interest to a piece without succumbing fully to the pull of print.
Whether you’re plumping for a bomber jacket or T-shirt, be wary of getting too matchy-matchy with the rest of your outfit – you’ll want to isolate the print to your sleeve to optimise its impact.
With additional layers wholly impractical when temperatures rise, a contrast sleeve can really add the depth that simple summer attire is often lacking.
- Pull & Bear Sweatshirt With Flower-print Sleeves
- Only & Sons Sweatshirt With Leaf Print Pocket & Raglan Sleeves
- Asos Sweatshirt With Aztec Printed Sleeves And Oil Wash
- Native Youth Bomber Jacket With Contrast Sleeves
- Levis Vintage Clothing Sweat Fleece Cardigan Stripe Sleeve
- Reclaimed Vintage Bomber Jacket With Velvet Patterned Sleeves
The T-Shirt Sleeve Roll
A simple touch that can make a significant difference, a roll in your tee’s sleeve can instantly frame your arms in a more flattering manner, especially if they’re weedy rather than beefy.
For a more permanent solution, simply sew the new roll-up into place with a small amount of thread; your local alterations service should be able to do this at little cost if your own skills aren’t up to scratch.
Now coming as a standard embellishment to many off-the-rack suits, lapel pins have recently re-joined the pocket square in the tailoring accessories pantheon.
It’s the perfect tool to add an extra layer of interest to – and break up the monotony of – a suit, and you can get particularly creative with the breadth of styles available; just make sure it’s appropriate for the occasion beforehand.
Also be mindful of over-accessorising. If you’re opting for a lapel pin, it might be worth leaving the collar bar and/or tie pin on the bench this time – there’s no hard and fast rule on this one, but be sure to take a good look in the mirror and apply common sense.
- Reiss Piani Flower Dress Pin Pink
- River Island Gold Tone Flower Lapel Pin
- Simon Carter Stag Lapel Pin Exclusive To Asos
- Austin Reed Mother Of Pearl Button Lapel Pin
- Lanvin Rosette Lapel Pin
- Lanvin Onyx Ball Tie Pin
Canvas/Nato Watch Straps
If you’re anything like us, you have one, maybe two watches: a leather one, and a metal one, which you switch between depending on the situation. You have a taste for timepieces but your budget won’t afford you styles to match every outfit you put together.
With brands like Timex, Shore Projects and even Apple now offering interchangeable straps for their wristwear, it’s easier than ever to adjust the look and feel of your watch for the occasion or season.
Considering switching out leather and metal straps in the summer for more season-appropriate canvas (also known as Nato straps), and think of your strap as another key point in pulling your ensemble together – a dash of contrast print or colour will add an eye-catching detail.
- Topman Create Canvas Watch Strap
- Briston Long Nato Stripe Watch Strap In Red And Green
- Topman Create Canvas Watch Strap
- Timex X J.crew Timex Andros Steel Watch
- Daniel Wellington Belfast Rose Gold Striped Canvas Strap Watch
- Reclaimed Vintage Canvas Strap Watch
- Shore Projects St Ives
- Mondaine Helvetica No1 Bold Watch
- Larsson & Jennings Kulor Windsor Large Gold-plated Watch
From loafers and drivers to more formal Derbies, colour pop shoes are enjoying a bit of a moment right now, and this season is the ideal time to capitalise on the trend.
Whether you opt for a bold coloured upper or simple contrast sole, step out in style but take care not to overmatch: complement the other colours in your look with a contrasting hue on your feet. Whatever you do, don’t accentuate that red shirt or those red socks with a scarlet shoe – your footwear will lose its punch.
- He By Mango Contrast Sole Suede Blucher
- Zara Classic Leather Deck Shoes
- Asos Loafers In Suede
- Ask The Missus Black Hole Lace Up Navy Suede Red Sole
- Ask The Missus Black Hole Lace Up Brown Nubuck Blue Sole
- Mark Mcnairy Tasselled Suede Loafers
- Sperry Top-sider Authentic Original Suede Boat Shoes
- Tods Micro Wingtip Derby Shoes
- Tods Gommino Suede Driving Shoes
Will you be upgrading your style with any of these easy twists this spring/summer?
Drop us a comment and let us know how you intend to add all-important tweaks to your warm-weather looks.