FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Article metadata

This isn't really a forum request, but this seemed like the appropriate place to suggest this. Has there been any thought on including metadata with the articles (for example, tags) which could then be targeted for a search? The ability to search for all articles about a particular clothing piece, as opposed to all articles which just mention that clothing piece, would be incredibly useful.

Of course, there would be extra effort involved in applying tags to all the existing articles in the database, but I know that I (and I'm sure many other FBers) would gladly contribute towards that. Other sites have arranged a pseudo-voting system for tags which means the community could continually modify them until an equilibrium was reached, although that probably requires more work to set up (but less work for the editors to maintain). It wouldn't be a perfect system but I feel it would be nice for a lot of people.

Editor-In-Chief
    Thanks for the suggestion Matt. Unfortunately the system you described is a little out of my depth, but I think we have managed to counter act this with our new redesign by incorporating google custom search. I have tried it out already and the search results are a thousand times better than the in built wordpress search facility.

Keep you eyes peeled because we will be asking forum members to test the new site before we launch it as well.

Thanks,
    Ben
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Herbert View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion Matt. Unfortunately the system you described is a little out of my depth, but I think we have managed to counter act this with our new redesign by incorporating google custom search. I have tried it out already and the search results are a thousand times better than the in built wordpress search facility.

Keep you eyes peeled because we will be asking forum members to test the new site before we launch it as well.

Thanks,
    Ben
    Sorry for not responding, Ben! I honestly have no idea how much work it would take to implement this scheme. In head it's pretty easy (I do a little programming), but in reality I don't know (because I only do a little programming). Guess it depends on the framework that wordpress uses. Google custom search is certainly a step up.

Trend Setter
    Thing is right now if I want to refer to a particular article, I'd be better off just googling it than searching the site itself.

Any idea on when the new version will be ready for testing?

+ Reply to Thread