FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Trade Job Interview

So it seems everyone on here is a uni student or professional, and while tradies generally arent as stylish as the professional counterparts, some of us like to look good on weekends lol.

Anyway, I may (hopefully) have a few job interviews coming up soon and was wondering what you reccomend in terms of interview wear for a trade job. Im a sparky, an industrial one though, so the interviews retain a certain level of formality, however a suit i would not think would be appropriate.

Any help would be great!!!!

Cheers in advance.

Fashionisto
    Anyone care to give me a hand?

Trend Setter
    I think there are several articles on FB about job interview attire. Have you checked them out yet?

Fashionisto
    yeah, but they all seem to apply to professional or retail kinda jobs. I was just wondering if the rules are different for trade level jobs

FashionBeans Staff
    I think you could still wear a pair of tailored trousers, shirt and shoes, just use a piece of knitwear in place of a jacket. You are of course going to be judged more on your qualifications than your wardrobe skills but it would still be worthwhile showing that you are serious about the jobs you are applying for.

There is never going to be anything wrong with some navy trousers, brown shoes and a white shirt. You could perhaps be a bit more daring with the colour of your knitwear if you wanted to make more of an impression; a burgundy V neck perhaps? or just stick with a grey V neck or cardigan. I would just make sure that everything you wear fits perfectly because you aren't going to have the security of just being in a suit.

And good luck.

I work in a hospital, so when I dress for work/dressed for the interview I was going to wear a suit, but then realised that I'm not working in the city I wore of of my sport jackets/blazers with a pair of grey flannel trousers, sky blue poplin shirt and a navy knitted tie. This is my usual work attire now, odd jackets with trousers. It might work for you if you think suits are an overkill....

I'd go for a crisp white shirt, charcoal trousers, smart black shoes and a tie that adds a bit of colour. Make sure everything fits well and is ironed. Add a cardigan, jumper or jacket if the weather isn't great.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck!

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    I'd go for a crisp white shirt, charcoal trousers, smart black shoes and a tie that adds a bit of colour. Make sure everything fits well and is ironed. Add a cardigan, jumper or jacket if the weather isn't great.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck!
    I completely agree with this advice. With a 'tie that adds a bit of colour' don't think of Mickey Mouse though.

Fashionisto
    Cheers for the advice guys!!! tomorrow is the big day

Ill be rocking Charcoal Pants, Black Shoes, Black Belt, White Shirt and a blue or black tie. Keeping it simple. Cheers for all the help!!!

Go for the blue tie mate, black is a bit formal

+ Reply to Thread