FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

What To Wear With Navy Chinos?

Just picked up some new navy chinos. At the moment I'm wearing them with a breton striped tee, quilted jacket and some brogue boots but what would I wear with them if I wanted to dress them up a bit? What sort of shirts/knitwear/blazer would work with them?

Cheers

Pretty much anything yo!

For a smart look, off the top of my head, how about:

Navy Chinos
    Burgundy roll neck jumper
    Camel blazer
    Brogue boots (which you already own)
    Navy Pocket square

Perhaps add a monocle and some moustache wax for that extra-smart look?

Style Icon
    Camel blazer would be amazing, why didn't I think of that?!And I was looking at a burgandy rollneck anyway, so voila! Shame my facial hair growing capacity is shockingly poor.

The monocle could still work bro!

As a rule, anything navy + anything brown = good look

Trend Setter
    He is right, blue paired with brown does almost always work, orangier the brown the better because blue's complimentary colour is orange. That being said, putting a caramel blazer on doesn't mean you have truly dressed it up as the older generation might still see the style as a mistake. My father, who is in his late 50's, considers wearing brown and blue together as lower class and wrong, he sees it as a rule that can never be broken, similar to brown and black. He was taught that brown clothes stayed in its pallet, chocolate brown to cream, white, maybe with a red tie or sweater. However, you aren't asking about brown, you are asking about navy an effortless neutral that goes well with everything, brown included, if you are wearing them often, a camel overcoat or trench would be fine, also you could probably match it to a navy blazer, or wear it with a dark grey heavy knit sweater. There are almost no mistakes you can make with navy pants, but a red top will cut you in half and thus make you look shorter, but it can still look quite nice. Not that it is very formal, but I like wearing mine with red braces and a lazily tucked in collared shirt with the sleeves rolled, add facial hair and glasses, and your brogue boots for extra cool, and place in the oven at 400 ºF for 90 minutes and let cool for 15.

Style Icon
    Wow, I wish my dad was a style-conscious as yours! As a rough and ready building trade bloke, he still thinks its "dressy" if your clothes aren't covered in sawdust.
    Very interesting though. I am fascinated with all this colour theory but I'm also fascinated by how you can subvert it, which is why I'm one of those awful people who pairs brown and black. (But let's NOT start that argument here haha)
    Definately will take your advice, I'm terribly lacking on decent grey knitwear at the moment!

Trend Setter
    for a smart look i would pair them with a blazer, perhaps even a courdrouy one like the ones below

Style Icon
    Well that shouldn't be a hard look seem as I have a cord blazer, very similar to the second picture you posted. Good shout!

Pretty much anything as said above

a navy blue velvet blazer would be nice with a black shirt to make the texture of the blazer stand out more, or a black shirt with a matching navy blue velvet tie and black shoes.

But i just bought some navy chinos today (im getting them altered at uniqlo), when i get them back i will wear them with some orange socks, black hi tops with white vibram sole, a plain white crew neck t and a denim jacket. Simple.

Hey just bought navy chinos
    checked internet and i found this
    http://www.dapperedition.com/wp-cont...-Mocassins.jpg
    looks cool but i dont like that boots
    If i want wear socks which color goes with navy chinos?

anyway i need some advice.
    Can i pair Navy chinos with:
    light blue shirt (striped or no?)? isnt it overkill - too much blue? ( without blazer)
    white shirt striped with white strips ( http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6470/i8ma.jpg )

+ Reply to Thread