FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Can Someone Dress Me Please????????

My post is similar to the London one below but Im heading out into Leeds and was keen on suggestions for stylish casual smart clothing that I could throw on. Late bars and maybe a club funky house scene is where the night will lead. Im looking for a style similar to Reggie Yates with that kinda urban feel to it to. Dont want anything All Saints and nothing ever fits that comes from H&M, ZARA or Topman so pieces from alternative options would be good. Price bracket nothing more than 100 for each item. Fitted Blazer , chinos and boots or shoes ??? I dont know hence the much needed help.

Would be grateful for any suggestions.

Style Icon
    Okay first of all, ditch Reggie Yates as a style icon aha. Sorry, but every time I see him he's wearing a t-shirt longer than his blazer and his nipples are half out.

Secondly, what problems are you having with fit at the highstreet stores?

Thirdly, as for outfits, most of my looks follow the standard shirt, trousers/jeans, shoes and a blazer.

If you're trying to keep an urban feel to things, why not swap the shoes for some smart, white canvas trainers? There's a good article about them here on Fashionbeans if you can find it. Then a slim, minimalist pair of dark wash indigo jeans (don't listen to what everyone says, I buy mine from Topman and they're fine!). If you insist on wearing a tee instead of a shirt under your blazer, keep it simple. Minimalist stripes or just a plain white tee always works a treat.

If you're looking for a blazer, it depends on your price range. There's some Holland Esquire ones on TK Maxx at the moment and I've just bought one, although it hasn't arrived yet. If you're new to the whole thing, more important that you get into shops and work out your size. Tbf, Topman blazers have nice designs, even if the quality is a bit shoddy. Zara's a step in the right direction, but you might pay a bit more.

Good luck!
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

'...and nothing ever fits that comes from H&M, ZARA or Topman'

Quite a brush-stroke statement this, I have purchased realy nice fitting tees from H&M, in fact, the fit of their plain t is spot on! Although saying this, you do need to try on every garment individualy as the sizing within H&M does differ quite greatly. (hate to point out the obvious).

As Nath mentioned above, I too buy all my jeans from Topman.... the Skinny fit they sell is perfect, no slouching saddle, with a nice 'straight' but skinny fit all through the leg. No taper!
    twitter.com/mattfarndale

'Simplicity in character, in manners, in style; in all things the supreme excellence is simplicity'
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Style Icon
    You could take a look at Massimo Dutti, or perhaps a site like Asos for the chinos and blazer (the former has a really good sale on at the moment).

I can see what you mean about Zara sizing, but I have yet to have any issues with the few Topman items I own. Their main turn off for me is that you can't go out without seeing someone wearing the same item.

Obviously French Connection or any similar shops would be in-keeping with your budget.

Sam

Style Icon
    If he says that Topman, Zara, and H&M stuff doesn't fit then it doesn't fit - different labels cut their clothes to suit different body types or to achieve different silhouettes. One of these things doesn't suit him, which is fine.

Try Uniqlo, whom I've recently reacquainted myself with; the value for money is smashing and the styling is rarely ostentatious.

Consider a slim pair of cargo trousers to really nail the urban vibe without compromising style. If you're into trends, camo is having its moment, and works well on slim cargos as long as you keep the rest of the look fairly neutral - but if you're reluctant to include it in your own outfit then don't, it's obviously not necessary.

Cobbled together from Uniqlo, except the shoes which are from Clark's at Asos.

Hope that gives you a few ideas

Jay

Style Icon
    Cargo trousers not compromising style? They are the boat shoes of the trouser world!

And the touch paper is lit.

Style Icon
    I'd have to agree with Jay. I can't stand Cargos. A printed trouser which fits well can look great, but the extra pockets ruin any attempt at a simple silhouette/clean lines.

Sam

Style Icon
    I could have counted on you to disagree Jay okay baggy ones and cargo shorts are abominable but a straight/slim cut pair of cargos can be quite flattering, regardless of whether you think they look refined or not.
    And I don't think they rule out a slim silhouette - they just add a utilitarian element to it, which you may or may not find attractive.
    I'm not going to try to convert anybody - personally though I try to keep an open mind.

Cargos dont seem too inspiring in my eyes as Smart but stylish clothing for a night out!!! When it comes to the typical high street options of Zara, Topman and H&M, believe me when I say I have tried shopping in these stores countless times to even convince myself the fitting is right buuuuuuut they just arent. When I say a slight urban feel, I just mean I dont want a bow tie or cravat style.(if you get me)

Style Icon
    You could check out Pull and Bear:

United Kingdom

I can't comment on the quality or fit, but I've heard some good things about them.

As far as chinos go, Massimo Dutti have a sale and I just ordered a pair. I'll post my thoughts when I receive them.

Massimo Dutti United Kingdom

+ Reply to Thread