FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

New Comer Needs Fashion Advice

Hi guys! right i need advice on a few things. Im a guy who works out alot and therefore i have a massive chest!! nothing fits right! it hangs like a tent over my belly. so.....is wearing v neck t shirts a good idea for a large chest? or how about the large round open ones? next question, i realy like ed hardy designs, the fit nice on me but are they ok to wear in 2012, theres alot of hate for people who wear ed hardy, but i notice its big in the 'guido' community (of which i am). and finally....drop crotch chinos, i love them!! and i think i look good in them....but can i realy get away with these, im 5ft 10in. but as i said im very muscley build so will they make me look silly and short legged? please help me!! much love!

Well... Ed Hardy and drop crotch chinos are not going to get you love round here, but if you like them, you like them! And If you are a self-confessed guido, then what's there to worry about?

RE the massive chest thing, I see your problem; if you don't wear something tight, then you could just end up looking fat or whatever. I don't really think most of the style advise on here will be for you.

If you wanted to try to change your style a bit, I'd say start wearing block coloured t-shirts rather than ones with designs, and slim-fit trousers; these should make your legs look longer. Carrot fit might also be better than drop-crotch. Guessing the t-shirts will have to be tight, but having a subtle v-neck or crew neck will make you look like less desperate for attention.

You could also consider buying some nice shirts and getting them tailored to your frame? Might help you get a smarter look.

Hope that helps!

Style Icon
    My problem with drop crotch chinos is that I think they create an undesirable silhouette, nothing more really. They might look "trendy" in certain situations/groups of friends I suppose, but it depends what your definition of style is really. If you're aiming for a more refined look, they might not help. If you're worrying about looking shortlegged and topheavy, maybe opt for a more classic slim pair? I quite like the fit of Topman's plain "skinny" fit. It's not really skinny, more a nice slim.

I'm personally not a massive fan of low cut v-necks anymore. I think that it can look like you're showing off. Then again, maybe I'm just a bitter, skinny guy aha.

A less deep v is great though, H and M do the perfect v for me. It's more subtle.

Good luck!
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Thanks guys both very helpfull! I wanted constructive critics to help. I definitely think the carrot fit is a good idea they seem to work well, skinnies not sure but I'm here to take advice so I'll give em a try. And yea ur right pin money, if I like it, like it. But I'll take on board plain colours. Thanks again guys!

Style Icon
    I think a tapered carrot fit would work better. By this I mean one where it's not so obvious the thigh has more bulk than the calf. Topman do a variety of carrot fit jeans/chinos, and I always think they overdo the size of the garment in the thighs.

The All Saints taper fit might be exactly what you're looking for: a slight drop crotch which isn't too risque, and a definite taper which works very well I think.

I have gone off drop crotches though. I've seen people wear them, and when their jeans are hanging around their arse it looks like they've just soiled themselves.

Sam

Style Icon
    Steer clear of skinnies; if you're as broad chested as you say you could end up looking ridiculous. I'd go for a slim or straight fit on the legs if I were hench. Which I'm working on...

+ Reply to Thread