FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

White Ralph Lauren Dress Shirt + Dark Red (Maroon) Chinos. Good or Bad Combination?

Custom-Fit English Poplin - Dress Shirts Men - Ralph Lauren UK

I recently bought this shirt and it fits very well. However, i am wondering if it would look good with some maroon chinos? I'm thinking of combining it with a black belt and black shoes.

Occassion: A party.

FashionBeans Staff
    A very preppy look! I'd think it was a goer, I was going to suggest trying brown belt and shoes, but you actually want to split the colours up a little with something that will stand out, so black will work.

Jay

Style Icon
    Definitely a goer. Reds can carry black or any shade of brown (I'd make the brown tonally different to the chinos though), so go for it.

Yeah that works! I think I remember reading an article which extolled the virtue of a black/burgundy colour combo, and this doesn't seem a mile off that. You run the risk of looking like a toff though, could be a good or bad thing depending on your intentions. If you want to avoid that, it might be worth trying to add a bit of edge with accessories. I have a tragus piercing for example, so that would do the job for me.

Sam

Style Icon
    Certain to work, more or less! I have to say it seems a little unfair ruining a clean, quality white shirt with that great big insignia though. Damn Ralph Lauren.

Fashionisto
    Thanks for the input guys, stellar as per usual.

Trend Setter
    Sounds like a great combo. Red is great because it isn't a neutral, but is friends with every colour with the exception of purple, but even they get along in a joking insult way if done properly. Red is a powerful guy, but caring enough to be very accommodating, with brown or black.

+ Reply to Thread