FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    geo

Fashionisto

Alteration Cost

I had a pair of chinos altered a while ago (slimmed down) and having been pleased with the results, took another pair of exactly the same brand/style to be altered last week. I picked them up and did not bother to try them on, thinking they would be the same as the last pair and so just paid for them.

However, when I got home I checked against the original altered pair and they were slightly wider and not quite right. Anyway, I took them back with the original altered pair as a sample and asked for them to make the second pair exactly the same. But, on my order card, I see I have been charged again (15.99) for the alterations, but I already paid that before. So, I'm being charged twice.

I know I should have tried on there, but could not tell until I compared them at home. It seems excessive to have to pay again, but it is not really their fault, nor mine.

So, when I collect them, should I say something about the double charge and how I don't think it's right - I only pay when I collect. Or are they justified to double charge?

I don't want to get cross and alienate them, because they're the only real alteration place in my town, but likewise am not happy about paying again.

Long-winded explanation, but any advice would be appreciated.

FashionBeans Staff
    Did you specify that you wanted them exactly the same as the last pair? You should always leave the pair you want them matched to with the tailor, then they have the exact measurements to work from, if you've had the second pair pinned separately or they are going from memory or something they won't ever be exactly the same.

I would say that charging twice to make only small changes is a bit excessive though; unfortunately the fault is slightly more on your side because you didn't leave them the template to work from and they were just working with what you were asking them to do and you didn't try them on in store.

You could however say that being charged twice is a bit much (which it is) when you are only altering them slightly, see if they can push the price down a touch. Make it clear that you still want to use them and they might be more inclined.

geo

Fashionisto
    Yes, guess I should have left the original pair as a sample the first time round (which is what I have now done upon returning them to make sure they are exactly the same) so partly my fault there. But, as you say, I think it is excessive charging the full amount again when it is just a re-alteration of an already altered pair. I'll probably try and get them to push the price down, even to 10 - don't think I can get it for free.

FashionBeans Staff
    I would definitely try and get the price down. It shouldn't cost that much.

+ Reply to Thread