FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Men's Italian Style

Hi Guys

I'm not sure that I'm allowed to say this, as Italy is held up like the holy grail of the fashion world, but is anybody else starting to find Italian style just a little well... dull.

Now I am by no means saying it looks bad- there's no denying that the whole elegantly tailored look works. However there is something terribly uniform about it all- to quote Paul Smith- "The Italians do dress well. But they also dress identically".

Oh, and also, what is the general consensus on sprezzatura? Is "spezzy" (I'm pretty sure I would punch someone in the face if they used that word) style really the epitome of effortless elegance or is it a bit try-hard- are those perfect little imperfections just too calculated to convince?

I'm interested to hear what you guys think, Is Italian style really infallible, or is it starting to become stagnant?

Trend Setter
    Well obviously it's gaining popularity, so you're bound to find more and more people dressing in that sense. But you could say the same about most styles in reality, look how brogues have come in to play over the last couple of years (2011/12 mainly) Most people own a pair now, just the same as most people own a navy blazer and white chino's to go alongside.

Unfortunately it's an unavoidable situation, but I'm sure the latest trend is just around the corner.

Trend Setter
    I don't know, I like wearing sport coats, I wish it was more acceptable here. But yeah, a bit, I agree with you, the whole things comes off as elitist here in America. The looks a bit bougie in a bad way, I would say.

Style Icon
    The beauty of Italian style is it's simplicity (in principle but not so simple to actually pull off) but unfortunately that makes it rather easy to replicate. It follows that it can become a bit saturated.

However, as I used to say about the whole tweed and brogues look, yes it can become a bit samey but at the end of the day, the amount of people actually dressing like that on the UK highstreet is pretty non-existent.

Even when I'm in the capital or somewhere big on the continent, I'm still get stares if I go out wearing white trousers and a blue blazer. Just because something is getting repeated alot on forums like this, doesn't mean it's the same on the outside world.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

FashionBeans Staff
    forums such as this represent the tiniest minority of the population; It might seem like saturation but that is because you have a coming altogether of people that all think the same way (to a certain extent). Italian style in particular is very classic and timeless, they might all dress the same, but they all dress consistently well, something pretty much everyone else fails to do.

it all depends on your outlook and attitude, but I could certainly understand why it might seem a bit overdone.

Trend Setter
    What does "dressing well" even mean? Isn't fashion contextual series of interchangeable symbols that serve define one relationship to others?

+ Reply to Thread