FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post
    I personally wouldn't go as far as the parka/ski jacket genre unless you really like the look of them. They have quite a bit of connotation to the overly tanned non-eduacated types here.

The weather doesn't quite make it an necessity either in my opinion. It does get very cold during december/january (expect -10 to -15 Celsius), but rainfall is a rarity in the coldest months. During spring and autumn there can be quite a bit of rain but with much milder temperatures (overall the real bitch is the wind!).

My own setup to combat rain+cold is a peacoat with layering of thinner items underneath, a plethora of scarves and a nifty waterproof wind jacket from Levis which works great against the cold by layering some solid knitwear underneath (and on it's own against wind obviously).

Ahhhh appreciate the informative reply, I guess it's more the case to have extensive, warm layering options then just a singular expensive thick coat. I'll look into wind-breakers and such as well. What specific footwear do you opt for through the winter period?

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    I have a waxed, quilted hunting-style jacket with a hood by John Partridge; sounds like the perfect option for your requirements. I also have a black Reiss one, and a Henri Lloyd one in bright yellow, which combines practicality with style. Here's Mike Skinner wearing the Navy version:

I'd say Henri Lloyd is defo worth a look, anything waxed and hooded should be ideal for you; waterproof, stylish, contemporary, can be layered easily and packs into a bag easily. Plus they have this on their site on sale right now:

MILANO RWR JACKET

I actually love that, the way it mixes the heritage style with the modern colours and fabrics. Practical + stylish with a nautical & heritage twist.

I smacked it, basically.

The colours!
    Can't say i'm a big fan of the purple ensemble but the yellow one I think you posted a picture of it before and I like it a lot, how much did it set you back? Working on a limited budget (175 max) you see.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekwal View Post
    Ahhhh appreciate the informative reply, I guess it's more the case to have extensive, warm layering options then just a singular expensive thick coat. I'll look into wind-breakers and such as well. What specific footwear do you opt for through the winter period?
    That navy jacket in Pin's post looks pretty good as well.

In terms of A/W footwear it's mostly various boots for me. Chunkier models for winter, preferably with room to spare for some good warm socks when needed. The Wolverine type boots have been popular here for the last 2 seasons. Don't have them myself though as they're not really my thing.

By the way someone mentioned this earlier, but clothing/shoes tends to be significantly overpriced here. Locally I more or less only buy from H&M and Zara when no sales are on. Otherwise I make all my purchases online from English sites.

PS: will be my last input on the matter for the next two weeks due to holiday down south (yaaay!).

Quote Originally Posted by Seekwal View Post
    Can't say i'm a big fan of the purple ensemble but the yellow one I think you posted a picture of it before and I like it a lot, how much did it set you back? Working on a limited budget (175 max) you see.
    I got my yellow one in the arse end of the House Of Fraser sale last summer, it had a mark and I haggled them down to 65 from an original 275. It's called the Henri Lloyd Berkely Jacket, if you're lucky you might find one online somewhere, but similar yellow macs aren't really hard to come by.

Have a look on the HL site too, there is plenty in your price range http://www.henrilloyd.com/store/c-29-mens-jackets.aspx

Henri Lloyd sailing coats are a great alternative to the snowboard option, as they have all the practicality but also good looks. Let's face it, you weren't going to buy a snowboarding jacket to wear anywhere but on the piste. At least I hope not...

For the record, I think the sky blue one is fucking sick.

^LOL at this forum, can one of the admins sort out this issue with posting links pls?

X.X

+ Reply to Thread