FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Complex Coat Conundrum

Basically I'm moving to Copenhagen in August for educational purposes. The conundrum comes in the form of what coat (amongst other things) to buy. Personal experience and a basic grasp of geography tells me it's going to be below freezing for a decent amount of time over the winter months, as well as this my research tells me that it rains fairly frequently. The last contributing factor is that when I get dished out accommodation it's fairly likely to be 4 or 5km away from where I need to be, meaning that I will be cycling a mildly substantial distance most days.

This culmination of data told me that I would need a coat that is warm, waterproof and fairly durable. Lastly I also want a decent looking coat, hence why I didn't just buy a ski jacket. Is it reasonable enough to expect so many things from one garment? ( or do I just buy a cag in a bag to go over the wool blouson thing I already have )

Any help would be appreciated. It's a shame WinterShorts has gone on hiatus he would have been perfect

Kicksies Canvas Coat - Mens Jackets & Coats - French Connection
    This is the front runner at the moment, anybody else willing to shed any light on the matter?

FashionBeans Staff
    To actually be capable of handling rain and lower temperatures you are probably going to have to buy something a bit ski like. Sartorial coats don't tend to be much use at multi tasking.

I have a vintage Navy issue peacoat from the 40s that is fantastic; it weighs an absolute tonne but is totally wind proof and can deal with pretty heavy rain. Might be worth investigating I suppose?

Sam

Style Icon
    What you've found doesn't look bad at all. A chunky knit, scarf and gloves and I'd imagine you'd be okay.

On the other hand how about a parka? Something like this but obviously not as expensive. It's classic, practical and even hooded for keeping your hair immaculate during long bike rides. Or at least something like that.

Good enough for the mods anyway.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post
    To actually be capable of handling rain and lower temperatures you are probably going to have to buy something a bit ski like. Sartorial coats don't tend to be much use at multi tasking.

I have a vintage Navy issue peacoat from the 40s that is fantastic; it weighs an absolute tonne but is totally wind proof and can deal with pretty heavy rain. Might be worth investigating I suppose?
    I was afraid that might be the only alternative. Pea Coats are my favourite but i'm just cautious about them soaking up the moisture and taking ages to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    What you've found doesn't look bad at all. A chunky knit, scarf and gloves and I'd imagine you'd be okay.

On the other hand how about a parka? Something like this but obviously not as expensive. It's classic, practical and even hooded for keeping your hair immaculate during long bike rides. Or at least something like that.

Good enough for the mods anyway.
    Yeah I've looked at a few parkas and when I went on an exchange to Norway I got to borrow one from my host for the week so I know first hand how warm they are, it's just a shame about the price.

Cheers for the replies by the way I'm in a much better position to make a purchase now.

Another thing being, do I wait for the A/W lines to come out and buy one over there and risk paying over the odds.
    Last edited by Seekwal; 04-07-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: ooooo

Trend Setter
    I spent most of Nov/Dec in Copenhagen a couple of years ago, it was indeed mighty cold, but a great, stylish, city! I remember the snow more than the rain though, oh and the price of beer!

I really like that FC coat. Would it not be a good idea to get a decent winter coat and some good layers to go with it - a chunky jumper or two, maybe a roll neck? Obviously a scarf and gloves, and an umbrella. I wore merino wool thermals a lot to battle the cold.

I didn't buy any clothes while I was there, but I seem to remember everything was uber pricey, so reckon it would be better to get stuff in the sale here?

Trend Setter
    if it were me, i would have a look at coats from canada goose:-

and chevignon:-

Tom

Trend Setter
    If you're going to be riding you'll still want something breathable, and not too long else you'll be catching it in the wheel. You probably won't want to be flinging wet road dirt up onto a nice pea coat either. I'd definitely reccommend looking towards a more technical coat than a stylish one, there are some quite nice, non-lairy snowboard jackets about that would be worth considering but note that you'll need to consider layers, as windproof, waterproof and breathable as they are - standing still they're not going to be as warm as when you're busy snowboarding down a mountain.

I'd start here - Salomon Snowboards & Bonfire Snowboarding Bonfire Gear

Fashionisto
    @Alex - I did think about having a lesser winter coat and just stuffing on loads of layers etc, the Barbour International jacket with a roll-neck on underneath would look sick!

@Ares - Unforeunately don't have the financial backing to go for any of the Canadian Goose stuff which is a shame.

@Tom - A ski jacket is probably the best option all together as they are made to be waterproof as well as warm however I think I will keep mine reserved as a last resort, really want something that looks semi-decent even if it may have some practical drawbacks.

Fashionisto
    I personally wouldn't go as far as the parka/ski jacket genre unless you really like the look of them. They have quite a bit of connotation to the overly tanned non-eduacated types here.

The weather doesn't quite make it an necessity either in my opinion. It does get very cold during december/january (expect -10 to -15 Celsius), but rainfall is a rarity in the coldest months. During spring and autumn there can be quite a bit of rain but with much milder temperatures (overall the real bitch is the wind!).

My own setup to combat rain+cold is a peacoat with layering of thinner items underneath, a plethora of scarves and a nifty waterproof wind jacket from Levis which works great against the cold by layering some solid knitwear underneath (and on it's own against wind obviously).

I have a waxed, quilted hunting-style jacket with a hood by John Partridge; sounds like the perfect option for your requirements. I also have a black Reiss one, and a Henri Lloyd one in bright yellow, which combines practicality with style. Here's Mike Skinner wearing the Navy version:

I'd say Henri Lloyd is defo worth a look, anything waxed and hooded should be ideal for you; waterproof, stylish, contemporary, can be layered easily and packs into a bag easily. Plus they have this on their site on sale right now:

MILANO RWR JACKET

I actually love that, the way it mixes the heritage style with the modern colours and fabrics. Practical + stylish with a nautical & heritage twist.

I smacked it, basically.

The colours!

+ Reply to Thread