FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Cool Men's Suspenders Making A Come Back?

Hey guys,
    I just wanted to know what your opinions are on suspenders? Yay or ney?
    Are they coming back into fashion? I'm seeing more and more people in the media wearing them.

I'm currently trying to build my own style and I was thinking to incorporate suspenders into it...
    And i'm thinking of not just wearing them just with the usual shirt but i think it can also look really good just with a normal t-shirt.
    I'm just interested in what you think?

Thanks

Fashionisto
    If you wear them, don't wear the ones that clip on. Wear the proper ones with buttons.

Fashionisto
    my girlfriends housemate wore suspenders AND a belt to the summerball at her uni... (no tie or blazer, just shirt and suit trousers - which is fine)

the other day she was saying how well dressed he was. and when she showed me pics on facebook, i said he looked crap and that you never wear suspenders and a belt together... besides looking crap, whats the point of having both??

she said its called fashion and it looks good with both, and that not everyone follows the stupid rules that appear on this website (ie. wearing brown shoes with black trousers...)

anyways, i just laughed it off but is this breakup material? haha

Yeah that combo is obviously retarded

You might have to dump her, trying to tell you "It's called fashion"... No it's not.

FashionBeans Staff
    That is just called being incorrect; you should point out that the practical purpose of braces is to hold up trousers, negating the requirement of a belt. I shouted at one of my friends for having both his jacket buttons done up the other day.

Also, just wearing a shirt and trousers with braces makes you look like some awful pop groups backing dancer. I bet he wanted to wear a black trilby with a white ribbon.
    Last edited by William Colman; 05-07-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post
    That is just called being incorrect; you should point out that the practical purpose of braces is to hold up trousers, negating the requirement of a belt. I shouted at one of my friends for having both his jacket buttons done up the other day.

Also, just wearing a shirt and trousers with braces makes you look like some awful pop groups backing dancer. I bet he wanted to wear a black trilby with a white ribbon.
    This girl at a wedding a couple of weeks ago kept coming up to me and doing up the bottom button of my jacket. I nearly had to slap her down.

FashionBeans Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    This girl at a wedding a couple of weeks ago kept coming up to me and doing up the bottom button of my jacket. I nearly had to slap her down.
    definitely.

Trend Setter
    Lol. Like this thread, I do. Here's the deal with suspenders, I like them with a shirt and a bowtie. They are part classic geek/nerd look if they are large, and they are classic punk of they are thin. They border on costume, but can be okay. No replacement for a belt long term, just an alternative. Obviously, as everyone has pointed out correctly, one doesn't wear a belt and suspenders together... I mean honestly, how can one trust somebody who can't even trust their pants?

Quote Originally Posted by WinterShorts View Post
    Lol. Like this thread, I do. Here's the deal with suspenders, I like them with a shirt and a bowtie. They are part classic geek/nerd look if they are large, and they are classic punk of they are thin. They border on costume, but can be okay. No replacement for a belt long term, just an alternative. Obviously, as everyone has pointed out correctly, one doesn't wear a belt and suspenders together... I mean honestly, how can one trust somebody who can't even trust their pants?
    They can also be used with dark jeans, chambray shirt and work boots for a rugged workwear inspired look (a flat cap might make it slightly costumey but it would still work). There shouldn't be a need for belt let alone suspenders in the first place since trousers should fit perfectly.

I quite like this !

+ Reply to Thread