FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    True - but I tend, personally, to think of things that are "out of fashion" as things that were fads. I imagine the snood at some point will be out of fashion and seen as an oddity; the waistcoat will never have that problem.
    Snoods aren't a new thing. My dad poked fun at mine the other day saying he wore them when he was young. Some items just rotate in slower circles. You'd be surprised at the origin of a lot of our "fad" fashion items.

Sam

Style Icon
    Have to admit, I did not know that. Still think they look silly though but hey, I've learned something!
    Okay well, even if I'm wrong about waistcoats and fashion, they're still more or less timeless and you should wear it with panache. I'd rather wear it when it's out of fashion to be honest - something fewer people are wearing.
    I had a double breasted waistcoat at one point... if you can find one that breaks fairly high I think they look really cool.

Fashionisto
    The trouble is that you can't find the items that are out of fashion in the shops so you have to buy items, keep them until they are out of fashion then wear them!

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by white elephant View Post
    The trouble is that you can't find the items that are out of fashion in the shops so you have to buy items, keep them until they are out of fashion then wear them!
    Try vintage shops, charity shops and jumble sales.
    "There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about."

Fashionisto
    I much prefer a waistcoat with a shirt and tie than a jacket.

Fashionisto
    Tom Collins rocking a waistcoat.

Fashionisto
    Looks smart, but he needs to undo that bottom button (not all the time, just when he's sitting down - it stops the bottom hem of the waistcoat flaring out).
    But even without that little slip, I'd still say that's a good example of Simon Crompton's Logical Waistcoat Theory for modern office-wear.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by vincebowdren View Post
    Looks smart, but he needs to undo that bottom button (not all the time, just when he's sitting down - it stops the bottom hem of the waistcoat flaring out).
    But even without that little slip, I'd still say that's a good example of Simon Crompton's Logical Waistcoat Theory for modern office-wear.
    The bottom button should be undone at all times for me but some people dispute this. I love waistcoats so would wear them whether they are still popular or not - I just think they add so much to a formal look, not so keen on casual waistcoats.

+ Reply to Thread