FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Are Men's Waistcoats Still Popular?

I have always loved wearing waistcoats and was pleased when there was a revival a few years ago. Are Fashionbeans readers still wearing them?

Tom

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by white elephant View Post
    I have always loved wearing waistcoats
    Then wear one, I wouldn't worry about what everyone else is doing, just go for it.

Trend Setter
    I've seen a guy really rocking one, looks good and might give it a go!
    "There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about."

Trend Setter
    I wore a waistcoat tonight with a blue-check shirt, tie, indigo jeans and brogues. Didn't see a single person in one, but (in my mind at least) the waistcoat is definitely a "go to" piece. Timless - rock it

JII

i will be rocking that demin one out in glasgow tonight with a oxblood hoody under in, hopefully goes well...

FashionBeans Staff
    A waistcoat is defiantly timeless. I personally don't wear one unless its a formal event, but that's just me personally!
    "Lifes too short to blend in..." - Owner of Brighterman Accessories

Check out my articles for Fashion Beans - In my spare time I try to live a lifestyle I normally can't afford

FashionBeans Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGregor View Post
    A waistcoat is defiantly timeless.
    Agreed.

Some waistcoats do have a formal feel to them but a stand alone piece like a grey herringbone/tweed waistcoat can actually look really casual when paired with a simple jeans and white shirt combo. Casual fabrics are great for dressing down formal pieces.

Sam

Style Icon
    A waistcoat is the one situation in which an untucked dress shirt can sometimes look quite cool, in a rakish way - only if you roll up your sleeves and leave a button or two undone mind. But I know several people who make a point of wearing waistcoats in casual ensembles and always look dapper.
    They'll never go in or out of fashion; last year saw the three piece suit fairly trendy and they may dip in and out of the public consciousness but they're always a safe bet.

Fashionisto
    You say they never go out of fashion but for many years they were difficult to find in the shops before they started appearing again 5 or 6 years ago.

Sam

Style Icon
    True - but I tend, personally, to think of things that are "out of fashion" as things that were fads. I imagine the snood at some point will be out of fashion and seen as an oddity; the waistcoat will never have that problem.

+ Reply to Thread