FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Newly Single And In Need Of An Outfit!

Afternoon!

I've spent most of the day reading through this site learning a lot of things I didn't put much thought into before, and realised that I really had no idea in the past!

Now I'm hoping you can help me out with a bit of a dilemna.

I have just found myself single again after being in a long term relationship, and am now out on a mission to restyle myself so I better reflect my personality.

As a person I am quite a quiet type, but confident. I am a big fan of brit rock and indie music, whilst being a little bit geeky (I develop videogames as a second job...). My issue is, I have a habit of struggling to work out what works on me. I am 6'-6'1 ish, very slim with ungainly long arms. Finding stuff that fits is an issue.

My current favourite items are a beige pair of skinny topman chino's, my biggest complaint about them is they are more of a jeans style than a true chino. and a brown Merino Wool Mark Law cardigan, which fits like a dream.

Now my biggest problem I have is that this Saturday I have a work do in the evening. It is doesn't have a dress code, some are going fairly casual, others are pulling out all the stops. I am wanting to go fairly smart, but not OTT. There are going to be a lot of senior management at this do, and I'm working my way up within the company so want to make an impression.

The biggest part of it though, is my ex will be there, with the guy she left me for. Now I know this guy has no fashion sense, and I'd just like to make a bit of a statement.

If anyone can help make any suggestions, or suggest some items on a very reasonable budget i'd appreciate it!

Sorry to hear what happened mate, and I hope you have better luck with the single thing.

For the event you should be aiming for a smart-casual look. You could wear black skinny jeans (indie rock inspired) with a grey blazer (or suit jacket) as a conservative option. Since you are quite tall so a double-breasted jacket will work well with your frame(if you like them). A statement bow-tie will make this very dandy and less conservative. You could also wear a cardigan underneath the blazer for a middle layer (as long as its not too hot).

You could also make a subtle statement by wearing a sports coat and matching your trousers with a subtle colour on it (navy/blue checks and navy/blue trousers). If you need to wear a tie keep it solid and simple to avoid clashing with the sports coat.

I don't if they'll get to you on time but ASOS have some great chinos on sale at the moment.
    ASOS | ASOS Skinny Chinos In Burgundy at ASOS
    ASOS | ASOS Skinny Chinos at ASOS
    You could also have a look at your local TK Maxx, since they usually have quality tailored pieces at good prices. I hope my advice was helpful and good luck with your event.

Fashionisto
    The biggest part of it though, is my ex will be there, with the guy she left me for. Now I know this guy has no fashion sense, and I'd just like to make a bit of a statement.
    Good Lord. That's quite an incentive.

With regards to the brit-rock, indie interest you might want to check out the Alex Turner articles.
    Last edited by Seekwal; 12-07-2012 at 10:37 AM.

What colour/style of shirt do you suggest?

I'm liking the idea of the chino's/jacket combo quite a bit. Smart, yet still nicely casual.

It depends on the jacket and trousers; if you're going the blue-navy route a pink or blue shirt will work well (but make sure the blue shirt's in a different shade). If your jacket has a pattern like checks stick to a solid white shirt to avoid clashes. If your jacket is solid don't be afraid to wear a gingham shirt or even prints if you're looking to make a statement (but something subtle like small polka dots or a classic print like paisley or floral).

FashionBeans Staff
    I would go for some lighter stone chinos (off white would be excellent), navy blazer, light blue shirt (preferably slim fitting), some loafers worn sockless and a paisley or polka dot pocket square. If you want a belt, go for a striped fabric one rather than leather, it will make a softer divide between the top and bottom of the outfit, just try to match any leather bits with the shoes.

I'm new to this forum so hopefully fit in well!

The posters above nailed it pretty much spot on
    If you don't want to go over the top, I'd suggest a light colored pair of chinos (stone or beige) paired with a slim fit shirt and a navy blazer. The navy blazer will complete the look of dressing it up but not going over the top. You'll definitely look great out there
    www.classychap.com
    - A new website where we post great deals on classic clothing. The low prices we dig up serve to help our target audience: HS and College men, dress nice!
    We also spin out a few articles that are sure to help you look great

+ Reply to Thread