FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

Looks For Less?

I was wondering what you guys here thought of the principle that it's possible to achieve the looks you see on the catwalk with pieces that you find in your average highstreet stores? I suppose my real interest is: are expensive designer pieces worth emptying your wallets for?
    Example: I went out searching for for a red/brown/orange woollen piece for my autumn, country gent look I want to rock. I'd seen some beautiful examples of designer ones in magazines but the prices were obscene! In River Island, I found a lovely rust coloured jumper with quite nice detailing for 26 quid reduced from 36. However, on blogs such as these, I sometimes feel self-conscious about the facts that I only really frequent highstreet stores. I know people who take the principle even further, creating looks with items from oxfam! And the mad thing is, sometimes it works.
    Opinions people?

Tom

Trend Setter
    I wouldn't begrudge picking up something from a designer that's a real staple if its a nice style and fit - jeans, blazer, coat, watches (well not designer, but decent watchmaker), but anything with a hint of seasonal, where quality isn't an issue or something that you're not entirely sure on then don't worry. You can get pretty good quality without having to cry when you leave the till. If you really want designer bits then have a rummage in TK maxx or something, some occasional gems in that place! You can always go mid-way, I got some belting jeans from gap that are leagues apart from most high street quality and falls far short of designer prices.

People rave about all saints on here, and as nice as some of the bits are, nobody should charge £40 for a printed t-shirt!

Jay

Style Icon
    With clothing, you don't always get what you pay for. There's some terribly expensive designer stuff that is incredibly poorly made, but then cheap stuff is usually always poorly made. It's about picking and choosing when you spend your money on more expensive items that will last and when to go for a cheaper option.

I tend to purchase more expensive items if its something that's more classic, won't date and be stuck at the back of the wardrobe this time next year. My PS brogues, my suits (mostly PS again), most of my knitwear (cheap knitwear made from cheap materials feels awful and is out of shape in three washes), jeans (I live in them so it's worth buying good ones). Or I pay that bit extra if I love the item.

I tend to spend less on items that are just basics: I recently mass bought a pile of grey, black, white and navy v-neck, crew neck and henley necked long and short t-shirts from the likes of H&M, Topman and Burton because I see no point in spending a fortune on stuff that will be mostly layered under other items (and if it goes out of shape or starts to look rough then they cost less than a tenner so it's no big deal to throw them out and buy new ones). My other cheaper purchases will be items that I absolutely know are fashion pieces for now that I won't wear in six months time.

I've also been known to buy cheaper items and make them look like more expensive ones. I bought bright red and blue chinos from Topman, which came with awful white buttons that looked so cheap. A few quid and a few minutes later they have brass jeans buttons on them and look a hundred times better.

In short, I spend money on quality timeless pieces and less money on basics and dateable fashion items.

Trend Setter
    Agreed with Jay on pretty much everything.

Some people are more than happy to spend whatever is on the price tag in order to get something they want, which is fine - I do this with denim, and I always will. Ultimately its how comfortable you feel in what you have bought. To me, the great thing about fashion is you can line up three outfits, all of which may look "perfect" in your eyes, and none of which would give a first glance indication of how much they actually cost.

A good tip though if you want to get into some of the more mid to high end stores (I'm thinking Allsaints, Reiss, Aubin & Wills for example) - follow them on twitter, follow them on Facebook. Allsaints, in particular, have flash sales where you can pick up some absolute bargains. Unless you're worried about being too seasonal, there are bargains out there to be had.

Also, if you're looking for good styles at low prices and you don't mind internet shopping - asos.com. Follow them on twitter, they have random free next day delivery offers, and this week alone they just had a flash 50% sale for 48hrs

Fashionisto
    If I can get something I like the look of for cheap, then I'll do that. So yes, it generally applies to basic items, and I'll buy them from wherever I find them providing the quality isn't glaringly poor. However, I don't go to cheap store specially and buy up everything I can just to spend less money. It's got to be something I like, which sometimes means spending more. Also, I agree with Jay, there's not a lot of point on spending on something that's so heavily trended that you won't wear it come next year, but I try not to buy anything that I can't see myself wearing for more than one year anyway.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    People rave about all saints on here, and as nice as some of the bits are, nobody should charge £40 for a printed t-shirt!
    Totally agree! It's just overpriced fabric in my opinion!
    "There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about."

I absolutely swear by TK Maxx. There were Diesel leather jackets in there for £150 this weekend. Mental.

I only really buy designer stuff at knockdown prices- It's not really about spending £800 on a jumper and such.

I like how this forum seems to be mostly people who shop high end high street- designer snobbery is boring and frankly unnecessary!

I do love getting expensive stuff cheap though. I got a Henri Lloyd jacket down from £270 to £60 a few weeks ago!

+ Reply to Thread