FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

American Apparel T-Shirt Options

I was just wondering if any of you guys know whether American Apparel do any t-shirts that are more suitable for people who are of average height (I'm 5'11), but have a fairly athletic physique? Their basic '2001' t-shirt is too long in a medium and the small is too tight around my chest. The medium was so long that it completely covered my jean pockets, way too long in my opinion. Does anyone know if they do any t-shirts that are shorter?

FashionBeans Staff
    I don't think they vary the length of their tees at all, just the weight of the cotton, have you tried the lighter weight summer ones? (I can't remember the name) they might be a tiny bit loser round the chest.

They tend to be a bit longer in cut anyway but because they are tighter you might find that they will ride up as you wear them.

I have loads of the standard tees in small and they are all quite tight around my chest and I'm not at all well built. They will shrink a bit in the wash though, but the severity depends on the colour. I have a white tee that has shrunk quite a bit, so to a burgundy one but my black, green and purple ones have only shrunk a tiny amount.

Trend Setter
    Hmm well the small was definitely way too tight, and the length is a problem for me on the medium. Are there any other makes that do good t-shirts? I like the fit and length of Gap's t-shirts, but I wanted to find a manufacturer that did a few more colours. I've heard Sunspel things are pretty good, and Reiss clothing tends to fit me quite well. Are there any other manufacturers that I should be aware of?

geo

Fashionisto
    Yeah, Gap are ok but have limited colour choice. Of course it depends how much you want to pay as well. Often I prefer to go for a cheaper option and then can buy newer ones sooner as they tend to wear out if you wear T shirts a lot again and again. Reiss are pretty expensive and personally I'd rather pay a bit less for T shirts and pay more for other items of clothing. I guess you could look at the standard Topman/Zara/Asos if you want more colour choice - I know Zara do a slim fit and then a normal fit, so perhaps because they have different fits, the length will be the same but the standard fit will have more allowance for you?

Trend Setter
    Yeah I have owned t-shirts from Zara but not for a little while, so I might go to my local one and try some on. I like t-shirts that are slim fitting, which is why I'm particularly keen on Gap's stretch tee. Maybe the slim fit from Zara would be a good option with that in mind. Are Topman's plain tees the same as their graphic ones in terms of fit and fabric? I've never liked how thin their t-shirts are and prefer a slightly thicker cotton.

geo

Fashionisto
    I need some new ones too so will probably go to Zara - you're right that the top man T-shirts both graphic and plain have a very thin cotton whereas Gap and Zara have that slightly thicker cotton which makes a big difference. But then you do pay for the difference - Topman have their basic T-shirts at 7 each or 2 for 12, whilst Zara's are 9.99 each.

If you want a good colour range, you could try Uniqlo: (But not sure about the fit being slim though)

http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/goods/067095

Trend Setter
    Funny you should mention Uniqlo as I was looking at their t-shirts yesterday having gone through almost every other website I could think of, and they do look like they have a nice fit. They do seem fairly slim fitting in the pictures on the site, and at 5 each it's worth giving them a try. I'm happy to pay up to 15-20 for a t-shirt, but ideally I'd like to find ones that are cheaper so that I don't have to care too much if I ruin them and can spend more money on the more important parts of an outfit.

I find that Zara ones tend to be short, so they could be a good shout.

+ Reply to Thread