FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Anyone Who Owns A Pair Of Levi's 511 Jeans? I Have A Couple Of Questions For You!

So I'm considering getting my first pair of Levi's 511 jeans, as I need a new pair of dark slim jeans, and I decided to give Levi's a try, since they kind of have a cult following and have been really praised worldwide.

Anyways, these are my questions:

1. Are they really worth the €110 price tag? Since I'm 17, dropping that amount of money on a pair of jeans really needs some convincing. (i.e. Am I paying for quality, or just the brand name?)

2. Should I get the 100% cotton blend, or the other blends with 98% cotton or less (Those which aren't 100% cotton are said to stretch, and are cheaper than the 100% cotton jeans. For example, ASOS has 100% cotton 511s at €110, while Amazon has a 54% Cotton 46% Polyester blend at €32!)

3. Do they fit true to size? I usually wear 34inch waist, but I'm actually a 33inch. (problem is that 33inch isn't that common) So should I get my true size (since Levi's have it available), or should I stick to the 34inch?

http://www.asos.com/Levis/Levi-s-511-Rigid-Green-Slim-Jeans/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1552266&cid=4564&Rf900=1497&Rf-200=3&Rf934=2305&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Rigidgreen

To have an idea, that's basically what I'm looking for. The wash is perfect, but the price tag is what's keeping me back. (Closest thing to that is Amazon's 'Tumbled Night' wash.)

Thank you for reading and have a good day

Style Icon
    I have two pairs, albeit a few years old, and if I am honest they are not worth the price-tag. Sure they're a good quality pair of jeans, but the fit is too straight for my liking, and the construction isn't excellent: they don't always use rivets so seams can become unstitched. I moved onto All Saints jeans from Levis 511's and I've never looked back. And if All Saints say slim fit, they will always be slim fit.

The best thing about the Levis is the fact you can select leg-length and you can be fairly sure your waist size will match what the jeans say (something which can be hit and miss with All Saints).

Trend Setter
    I intended to buy these when I was in NYC last month and opted for the 510s. They're the skinniest Levi's do for men and they are really look and feel great. In NYC they were $70 which is £45 or 60 Euro.

Bottoms,Jeans & Pants Levi 510 Skinny Official Levis® Store Online GB

All saints jeans don't fit me unfortunately.
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

Trend Setter
    Basically the hunt for a new pair of jeans is so I can start the foundations for a timeless wardrobe, that the folks here at FashionBeans preach so much about.

Thus a pair of dark, slim jeans is a must. (Hopefully without breaking the bank tho)

geo

Trend Setter
    Levis 511s are good in some aspects, not so good in others. One good thing is the waist size - for me personally, all Levis Jeans fit perfectly and could easily be worn without a belt if necessary. The fit is also great in the thighs and top leg and really fits as if they were made to measure. But, as Ben said, although they say slim fit, they are only really slim fit for me on the top half - the bottom bit of the leg, and the width of the hem are more like straight fit, than properly slim.

I have recently had my pair altered so that the bottom part of the leg tapers just a bit more.

So, they are good, but in my view not properly slim fit all the way down - top half yes, bottom half no.

Not sure what other good options are though - still trying to find the perfect pair myself.

Oh, and I know Ross said how he loves the skinny 510s, but I just cannot get into them - even though I'm a fairly small build, they are like spray on super skinny on me. The 511s are pretty tight on my thighs and top half, so the 510s just cut off the circulation! In my experience anyway.

Trend Setter
    I guess I'll have to go down and try some on then. It kinda sucks that the 511's don't taper all the way down the leg...I had no idea about that small little detail.

Trend Setter
    not got a pair of 511's but they have numerous different fits, the 510's are skinniest if i remember correctly - 519's are skinny too but have a bit more room for athletic thigh's & are probably one of my favorite denim fits.
    Best bet is to go to the store and try them on & see which ones fit you the best.

I have to get most jeans altered regardless as 32" is a bit too long and 30" is a bit to short

+ Reply to Thread