FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Getting My Blazer Tailored - Instructions For The Tailor?

Hey guys, I am getting a blazer tailored for the first time and I'm not really sure how it will work.

I'm mainly just getting the sleeves shortend and narrowed, as well as slimming down the torso portion.

Telling the tailor to shorten the sleeves is quite straightforward as we only need to measure where the sleeves should end.

However, slimming down the torso isn't so clear cut and I don't really know what I should tell him. Just saying 'narrow the torso' is very vague. Will he measure my chest, waist, etc? Will he know the ideal fit? In general, how does it work when you go tailor your blazer? Do you tell him how you want it narrowed or does he do the work?

Sorry if I sound overcautious but my blazer is quite pricey and I want to make sure the tailoring is doen right. Some explanation would be great and much appreciated.

Trend Setter
    Hi, after asking for your sleeves to be shortened, ask for them to be tapered, as that is asking them to be more narrow. As for the Jacket, asked for it to be taken in at the waist and then direct the the tailor with the rest of the blazer to meet your standards. The tighter you make the blazer, the more it will wrinkle at the button. Tailors usually want to avoid this, so be firm if you want it that tight. Remember that before the alterations everything is pinned to meet your standards, so you don't have to be completely exact in your language. However, saying you want a slim fit, or an Italian fit, may help point them in the direction. A good tailor always tries to find out what you want first and you shouldn't have many issues. Going to the tailor should be one of your best decisions, as wearing clothes that aren't tailored is the same as wearing shoes aren't shined, I have a feeling you will be quite happy.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by annms View Post
    Hey guys, I am getting a blazer tailored for the first time and I'm not really sure how it will work.

I'm mainly just getting the sleeves shortend and narrowed, as well as slimming down the torso portion.

Telling the tailor to shorten the sleeves is quite straightforward as we only need to measure where the sleeves should end.

However, slimming down the torso isn't so clear cut and I don't really know what I should tell him. Just saying 'narrow the torso' is very vague. Will he measure my chest, waist, etc? Will he know the ideal fit? In general, how does it work when you go tailor your blazer? Do you tell him how you want it narrowed or does he do the work?

Sorry if I sound overcautious but my blazer is quite pricey and I want to make sure the tailoring is doen right. Some explanation would be great and much appreciated.
    It's really very simple. You tell him you want it taken in at the sides and he'll do it. If it is a traditional old-school tailor (as many are), they might be used to tailoring to a standard rather than a slim fit. The test of whether it fits is that you should be able to put your fist behind the top button. If it won't fit, it's too tight (which will be obvious to you anyway), but if it loosely fits its too baggy.

But, really, a good tailor, will simply sort it if you tell him you want the jacket narrowed. And he'll check to make sure you're happy (unless it's my tailor who simply looks at you, never bothers to measure and gets it bang on every time - he's a magician, I tell you).

Having both things done will cost you between £20 and £30.

Fashionisto
    On the subject of tailoring, does anyone know of a good tailor in the Birmingham area? I want a couple of items putting right, but I don't know who to go to. There's people who do alterations in my town, but no full-blown tailor. I'm kinda nervous about handing an expensive blazer to a fabric merchant at the local market, or to my dry cleaner and having then alter it.

Jay

Style Icon
    Go to a designer retailer than sells good quality suits: Paul Smith, Flannels, even the likes of Reiss. A good suit tends to come unfinished at the trouser hems and they use local tailors to do the work. Simply ask them who they use and go there.

+ Reply to Thread