FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last

Fashionisto
    Thanks Jay!

I shall do some research and I will post again if I find a good un' as i'm sure there are other Londoners looking for a good tailor. There seems to be one on every corner but I just dont trust them with more complex jobs.

Trend Setter
    You've inspired me to revive my ill fitting Hugo Boss suit. I was suit it fitted when I bought it three months ago but I just don't feel comfortable in it anymore. I'm going to take it to a tailor and try and have the body, arms and legs slimmed. Thanks for the post.

Trend Setter
    Good topic

I actually "panic bought" a Navy blazer the other week, which more or less fits - However, it could definitely fit better. Mainly the sleeves could lose a little length, the 'fasten' could be a little firmer, and the shoulders could definitely fit better.

Am I right in thinking these types of changes could be done at my local tailor?

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown View Post
    Good topic

I actually "panic bought" a Navy blazer the other week, which more or less fits - However, it could definitely fit better. Mainly the sleeves could lose a little length, the 'fasten' could be a little firmer, and the shoulders could definitely fit better.

I'm not 100% sure but I think changing the shoulder width it quite a big ask and a complex job, the other jobs you listed should be no problem!

I may be completely wrong though.

Guess I'm lucky...

My mum tailors all my clothing.

Jeans, shirts, blazers, jackets you name it she tailors it.

FashionBeans Staff
    Good topic

You will probably find that they will be able to shorten the shoulder for you if that is what you wanted done, but it would almost certainly cost more as it requires a bit more work. If you find a decent tailor they should at least try to do as much as you want or as much as they can.

Trend Setter
    I'm still in two minds over all of this. I agree, that if the alterations are simply a case of taking trousers up or shortening sleeves, it's something that we should all get done. If it's more than that, I would argue that it isn't worth the money.

I could understand buying a cheap suit and getting it tailored to fit you perfectly, but I don't see the point in buying an expensive suit, which lets face it, you're paying for the cut as much as anything else, and getting it altered so it no longer follows the cut intended, and in reality no longer resembles the suit you bought. Surely you'd be better off buying a made-to-measure suit (or if cost is no option a bespoke suit). Of course if you're buying a cheap suit and then getting it tailored at extra cost, wouldn't you be better off just buying a nicer suit that fits a bit better? After all, all you'll end up with is a cheap suit that fits well.

A few years ago I had a load of my work shirts tailored (before the days of slim-fit). They never looked right although fitting well. Once I started buying slim-fit shirts I threw them all out. I just found that although they were measured for me, they didn't follow a natural flow of the shirt and didn't compare to a decent shirt that had been cut to create a particular fit.

I think unless talking bespoke suits, I'd rather find something that fits me well, than try to make something fit me well.

Jay

Style Icon
    Good topic

The length and sleeves are a simple fix and not too costly.

It depends on what you want doing with the shoulders, really. If the shoulders are too narrow, then I'm afraid there's not much a tailor can do for you. If they are slightly too wide, they can be shortened, but it pretty much means restructuring the whole jacket and is an expensive process. You'e probably looking at £75 to have shoulders done and there's a chance it will look dreadful at the end of it. High cost + high risk = not worth doing (in my opinion).

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAnderson View Post
    Of course if you're buying a cheap suit and then getting it tailored at extra cost, wouldn't you be better off just buying a nicer suit that fits a bit better? After all, all you'll end up with is a cheap suit that fits well.
    A cheap suit that fits well looks better than an expensive suit that doesn't.

Of course, there's a limit of how cheap you can go and this still applies. A suit made of horrible man-made fibres will always look dreadful and shiny after a number of wears. If you can't afford a pricey suit, then get the least expensive wool suit you can is my opinion.

I agree with you on very pricey suits. I don't see the point of spending over a grand on off-the-peg (not that I do anyway). You're better off visiting the tailor to have it all done at that price.
    Last edited by Jay; 12-10-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Sam

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    A cheap suit that fits well looks better than an expensive suit that doesn't.

Of course, there's a limit of how cheap you can go and this still applies. A suit made of horrible man-made fibres will always look dreadful and shiny after a number of wears. If you can't afford a pricey suit, then get the least expensive wool suit you can is my opinion.

I agree with you on very pricey suits. I don't see the point of spending over a grand on off-the-peg (not that I do anyway). You're better off visiting the tailor to have it all done at that price.
    Expensive off the peg suits aren't all bad - Daniel Craig for example says that if he buys a suit from Brunello Cucinelli (sp?) he'll never need to have it altered; the more cash you spend the more likely you are to find a perfect fit.

+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last