FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last
    Jay

Style Icon

Getting Clothes Professionally Tailored

I love my tailor (not literally although he's a decent chap) and would be lost without his services. Not much fits off the peg, so if I buy anything that costs a few bob, the fit is almost there and I like the style then it's straight down the tailor with it.

They can't solve everything of course (knits are terribly difficult to alter and t-shirts barely worth it). Having shirts taken in costs around £10 to £15, trousers taken up for £10 and the waist taken in for the same. And is absolutely worth it. Why wear something that almost fits, when you can have something that fits perfectly for a few pounds more? It makes a world of difference and you can absolutely tell a well tailored shirt or suit from one that isn't.

I bought this suit from Reiss recently:

The colour is simply beautiful, the shoulders fit perfectly, but the rest was simply terrible. A couple of days later, the jacket sleeves were taken in, an inch was taken from the waist of the jacket. the waist of the trousers taken in, the trousers taken up (they come unfinished anyway) and the entire leg tapered to take out masses of material and give a slimmer, more modern look.

It cost an extra £70, but when you're spending £500 anyway, it seems worth it to have something that looks like I've stepped out of Saville Row.

Once you start having things tailored, it becomes part of buying clothes. I factor the cost int the price when buying an items these days. Ill fit or almost fitting clothes simply won't do once you've had things perfectly tailored.

So, to tailor or not to tailor? Is it worth it for you? Or an expensive waste of money or a luxury too far?

Trend Setter
    I agree, great fitting clothes are great. However, as a student, the cost is just too much to consider having stuff tailored.
    "There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about."

FashionBeans Staff
    I'm a huge fan of getting things altered. There is absolutely no need to wander around in a suit, a shirt, blazer or coat that doesn't fit, alterations cost a pittance and the item you get back will fit perfectly.

My Winter coat is currently at the tailors, undergoing quite a substantial overhaul. It is an ex-navy issue peacoat, 60 years old and utterly fantastic in every way, really rich colour, super warm and unlike anything else that you will find on the highstreet. I bought it in November last year for £50, but didn't alter it because I needed it (of course) so I've only just taken it in. It was rather large, but thankfully it served its purpose for the first season. Alterations have cost me £80 because it is being taken in, the shoulders are being shortened, the sleeves are being shortened slightly and taken in again and a small nick is being fixed. I get it back on Saturday and I'm ridiculously excited.

For a coat that has cost me a total of £130 I have something completely unique, with buckets of history, looks amazing, fits perfectly keeps me toasty warm and will last me for years and years and years - something you won't find with the vast majority of high street examples.

I would also say to those that have an issue with money (I am also a student,) think of it as an investment, to get something that fitted half as well off the peg, you would have to spend a lot, lot more.

Seb

For a good suit you cannot beat tailor made, no two ways about it.

As far as altering (and mending) clothes goes I'm fortunate enough to have a grandmother and sister who are both excellent at clothes making, so I can drop things into them! But without them I'd definitely need a tailor.

Ben

Wise choice Jay !!
    Last edited by Ben; 10-10-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Fashionisto
    Jay, are you based in London?

If so, would you mind passing on the details of your tailor. I've been looking for one that comes with a good recomendation!

Agree, tailoring makes a world of difference!

FashionBeans Staff
    I'm on the hunt for a decent tailor too. Everyone i've used in the past haven't lived up to my expectations of "tailoring" really. Maybe i'm fussy..

Great thread though Jay!
    "Lifes too short to blend in..." - Owner of Brighterman Accessories

Check out my articles for Fashion Beans - In my spare time I try to live a lifestyle I normally can't afford

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by TOE BAG View Post
    Jay, are you based in London?

If so, would you mind passing on the details of your tailor. I've been looking for one that comes with a good recomendation!

Agree, tailoring makes a world of difference!
    I'm in Nottingham and use Lee & Lewindon.

If you're not sure of a good tailor, the best advice I could give is to find out where some of the high-end stores send their 'off the rack' suits to be tailored for customers. All the best ones in Nottingham use Lee & Lewindon and they always come back of a high standard, which is why I use them for other things now.

Jmz

What sort of difference can you make to a pair of jeans or trousers on the waist? I didn't even know you could even change the waist but I've got 3 pairs of jeans and a pair of suit trousers that could do with 2 or 3 inches off the waist.

Jay

Style Icon
    I bought two pairs of Paul Smith trousers at the six monthly warehouse sale he does here in Nottingham (£20 a pair is a bargain) It's a mad dash and I misjudged the sizing so took them to the tailor and had 3 inches removed from the waist on each of them. They tend to take the cloth from the very back, so you will end up the loopholes at the back being close together, but otherwise its entirely doable with a good tailor.

I've never had jeans taken in (I wear Diesel which fit like a glove straight from the rack) so not sure if the heavier fabric makes a difference with taking them in.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last