FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last
    Nat

Style Icon

Thoughts On Waistcoats?

Morning gents. I have been toying with the idea of waistcoats recently. If I want to smarten up a look, then my go-to thing is normally a sports jacket or blazer of some sort. I want to mix this up a bit though, and thought that a waistcoat might be just the thing. Wouldn't want to look like I've just taken off my suit jacket though. I was thinking maybe light-mid grey wool waistcoat, slim black jeans, white granddad shirt, or normal shirt with knitted tie (perhaps tied loosely), sleeves rolled up.

So, do any of you guys ever wear one? What are your thoughts on looks, materials and styling? Would be interested to know. Where's WinterShorts these days?! He'd be ideal for this...

It seems a bit try-hard / cliched to me tbh. It's a look that was around a lot in the late 90s / early 2000's. Often seen teamed with a pinstriped trilby, distressed jeans and pointy shoes.

I'm sure it can be pulled off, but I think that they should only be worn as part of a suit really. It's a combination that is often seen on waiters, bartenders and so on, so it'd be important to make it obvious that you weren't at work. I just don't see how it can be done.

Nat

Style Icon
    Thanks for your honesty Pins!

I can see the look your talking about- all fake tan and highlights. That seems try hard, but the item itself can't be try hard, surely?

I'm also aware of the danger of looking like I just finished a shift at pizza express, but I think that could possibly be avoided in the way the look is put together, using different textures and colours, for example. Know what I mean?

Yeah I do- if you stuck to tweeds and stuff, it would be better. I just can't shake that dreadful look from my head though!

Could be cool as a layering thing though... Under a denim jacket for example.

I think rolling the sleeves up is too waiter-ish. I would avoid that.

Nat

Style Icon
    Don't blame you- it is a howler. Bootcut jeans, with small rips up the front?

Ah that's a good shout- maybe brown tweed under a denim jacket. I suppose it is traditionally a layering item, so bit of a twist on the three piece suit there

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Don't blame you- it is a howler. Bootcut jeans, with small rips up the front?
    And all frayed where the cuff of the jean has rubbed under the heel of the pointy tan shoes x___x

Possible wallet chain

FashionBeans Staff
    Go for tweed definitely.

Personally I wouldn't try it, its the kind of thing that Robbie Savage would wear.

Trend Setter
    I think it can work really well if done right.

Personally I would wear a tweed waistcoat that looks like it hasn't come from a suit, such as one in an olive green colour.
    I would also avoid a tie and wear a white grandad shirt with the top few buttons opened and rolled up sleeves.
    Finish off with a few wrist accessories (watch and/or bracelets) and I think you could have a really good rugged kind of look.

I think the key is to dress it down so it doesn't look like you left your suit jacket at home.

Nat

Style Icon
    Cheers for your comments K9MT. I was thinking of it as a smart look, but I can see how it would work as a rougher more rugged thing, especially with a coarse fabric like tweed. Shirt tucked in or out in that case?

Trend Setter
    Shirt tucked in definitely.

You could try and wear it smart but I hate seeing grandad shirts done up; and if your'e unbuttoning it then it automatically makes the outfit informal.

+ Reply to Thread