FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Stepping Up My Personal Style?

FashionBean!
    Over the past few years i've amassed a wardrobe that consists mostly of v-necks and jeans and i would kind of like out. I'm one of those tall and slender kind of guys and i feel that a smart casual look would suit me well, but i don't know how to go about approaching it. I'd really like to keep wearing the v-necks, so maybe with fall approaching a seasonal change could jump me to where i want to be? I'd love some tips of morphing my look. Thanks!

Start by phasing out the jeans in favour of smart chinos or tailored trousers.

Then with autumn coming up, you can start incorporating some knitwear / blazers / smarter jackets- whatever you prefer really. Going straight to wearing smart trousers and blazers might raise a few eyebrows with your friends & family (depending what they are like of course), so I would recommend starting with a few jumpers / cardigans so that you can gradually blend into the new look, rather than doing it make-over style.

V-necks are fine and will look good with all of the above.

It's probably also worth investing in a decent pair of smart shoes, I'd recommend some chocolate brown brogue boots, which again will go with all of the above very nicely.

These Asos ones look decent and affordable (spend more if you can though):

ASOS | ASOS Brogue Boots With Leather Sole at ASOS

Oh, these would be a good shout too, perfect for bridging that smart / casual divide:

New Momentum Brown Nubuck Moccasin Slip On Mens Shoes Size 10 | eBay

Nat

Style Icon
    I think tailored trousers can be quite tough to incorporate into your everyday non-work wardrobe, if you're not used to them. Chinos are a good shout, and maybe try cords for something a bit different. Recently got a slim grey pair from All Saints in the sale that I'm loving. Nothing wrong with jeans though imo, as long as they fit right. Can't go wrong with slim indigo.

I think at this stage the secret is to get the basics right. Arguably, the most important difference between someone who is well dressed and not is the fit of the clothes, so try and pay particular attention to that. Some nice slim trousers, plenty of fine and chunky knits, oxford shirts, a couple of blazers and a good overcoat. You can then mix and match. I always prefer the winter for dressing, because you can get involved with some layering, which I'm a pig for.

Once you're comfortable with the basics you can have a bit of an experiment trying out new things and finding out what works for you e.g. Playing around with accessories and developing your own style. Just don't afraid to try stuff and above all rock it with confidence.

Good luck

+ Reply to Thread