FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

What Should I Wear With This Thick Knit Cardigan?

Hi guys,

Any ideas with what to wear with this item?

REISS Mens Ruben Deer Chunky Long Cardi

It is just a lighter colour of the one in the link. I bought it last season but i'm yet to wear it as its very different to my usual style. Obviously I can see what the guy in the pic is wearing but i'd like some other idea for a knit newbie.

Thanks!

Skinny / Slim black jeans
    Black military boots
    Any plain tee- I would probably wear a white v-neck but you could also add a splash of colour if that's your thing.

Simple looks are best with knitwear, it's a statement cardi so doesn't need a lot.

Jay

Style Icon
    I'd go for dark indigo slim/skinny jeans (rolled up)
    Brown/tan/oxblood brogues or brogue boots
    Underneath the cardigan probably a long sleeve henley style t-shirt in chocolate or white, chambray oxford shirt or a dark brown roll neck (in a fine knit so as not to compete with the cardigan) would all work well.

It's a different look from the one above and I've tried to run the earthy colours through the outfit, but I totally agree with Pin Money that the cardigan is a statement outfit, so going simple is the way to go with it.

Sam

Style Icon
    I do suggest that the skinnier the trousers the better - I think that cardi's quite "Indie"... in the way that the Smiths fan in the John Lewis ad is indie, anyway! But that chap has the right idea, a white tee is a safe bet. More to the point, wider trousers will just make the cardi look slouchier and overall you'll look sloppy.
    If you fancy a pop of colour, try a light scarf - draped over your neck effortlessly of course. A desert scarf could work. If that's a bit dandyish then colourful socks or, say, a bright watch could do you well. If you're a hat person I reckon many would pair a beanie with this, although personally I don't like 'em.
    I do agree with the general consensus here, the cardi's a statement item so let it breathe.

Fashionisto
    Appreciate the input gents!

I like the dark/black trouser idea which is also an item I dont own and probably should! However, the skinny jean/indie look doesnt really work for me as I have more of a rugby players physique. So basically a simple plain T underneath, dark trousers and brogues or military boot?

Liking everyone's recommendations above! you could try some light wash jeans and boat shoes, again with a plain white tee. Might be getting too cold for that soon though!

Sam

Style Icon
    If you can't work with skinny jeans then the best idea is probably just to make sure that your jeans are in a fairly clean, non distressed wash without excess detailing - being Reiss it's quite refined so I wouldn't think distressed jeans would work.
    But basically yeah, that! If you go for the brogue then a pair of ribbed boot socks would be a nice subtle way to move the look into the colder season. And a simple plain T could be a henley, granddad or polo; I reckon that the relaxed aesthetic of the cardi would be complimented by leaving a button or two undone.

Trend Setter
    I'd try and work a bit more texture into the look. I'd go with some cords, maybe in a rusty brown. it will complement the weave of the cardigan.

Fashionisto
    Thanks guys! I have taken it all on board and once I have time and have got myself some black/dark trousers/jeans I will post a pic.

+ Reply to Thread