FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Wearing The Same Outfit Multiple Times?

I have real trouble with this; if I have worn an ensemble before I tend not to wear it again, even though I know it looks good. It somehow seems to lose its lustre for me and I feel compelled to create new combinations rather than reverting to safer known quantities. Unfortunately this sees me spending an inordinate amount of time and money on clothing.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or do you repeatedly wear an ensemble without a second thought?

Trend Setter
    I tend to like creating new looks, but I will also tend to note ones that have gone down well when out. That way I have a nice easy outfit for times I don't have time to plan what I want to wear.

I've always had a bad habit of buying the same thing in different colours, so can often substitute something to change the outfit a little. I'm not sure if that works against me though, as my wife often says I have worn the same thing, when really it's been the same outfit in different colours.

Jay

Style Icon
    I have no problem wearing the same (or similar outfits again). There are things that I just love that work well and will wear until they fall apart. My summer look this year was invariably a breton t-shirt, blue, red or camel chinos and desert boots (although admittedly I have dozens of breton long and short sleeved t-shirts to mix it up with. It's simple and classic, easy to wear and versatile, so it was a great go-to option.

I do like to see how I can subtly alter an outfit though. In the above example, throwing on a pair of loafers to dress the outfit up or espidrilles for the super summery look, popping on a straw trilby or a woven belt.

Where repetition does have to occur is with work wear. I have several suits but you can't wear the navy suit, white shirt and navy tie combo once and be done with it forever. the look is simply too strong to wear only once.

Not only that, but if I've invested in good quality clothing, i want to get my money's worth by wearing it more than one occasion, although I do find myself trying to work out when I last wore an outfit last and who saw me in it, so even if its two weeks later and I'm wearing similar, I don't bump into someone who saw me wearing the same things the last time I bumped into them.
    Last edited by Jay; 11-10-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Fashionisto
    I don't see any problem with wearing the same combination of clothes again and again. If I feel comfortable and confident in an outfit, I will wear it till the death of me. My problem is that I tend not to explore other types of trends e.g skinny jeans, long cardigan and anything which resembles femininity or is associated with the female gender.

FashionBeans Staff
    I think it would be foolish to avoid wearing the same outfits more than once, you wear it because it looks good, because you are comfortable and because it works. These should become your staple looks from which you build the rest of your style. By having a good solid base you leave yourself room to experiment more without the fear that if it all goes wrong your completely at a loss of what to wear.

Yeah I know it is foolish, and it's got to the point where if I buy something new, my friends don't even notice because I'm always wearing something different. I would like to build up signature looks, but I love to experiment with clothes and looks and just don't think I can do it. But there is something more mature and masculine about wearing the same signature outfits; I think it is because it posits the concept of fashion more in the realm of utility, which as a gentleman ages should become the status quo imo.

I turn 30 next month, so perhaps then I'll put my obsession with clothes behind me... Wish me luck lol!

+ Reply to Thread