FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Men's Tie Bars & Tie Pins

I've noticed that the tie bar has made a bit of a return. I myself have a couple, and have been wearing them for a while now, after reading an article on FashionBeans about officewear. I also noticed that a lot of the features on FashionBeans include them.

Recently I have noticed a lot more of them on TV, but have also noticed that they are being worn very high (about an inch from the tie knot). Is this a recent fashion trend? or is this just the "done thing" when wearing one with a suit?

I have to admit, I thought the idea of a tie bar was to keep the tie from blowing around, and hence the fact it clips the tie to the shirt. I don't see how if this were true, they'd be very effective worn so high? I wear mine at the base of my chest (just below nipple height).

Fashionisto
    I wear one quite often (including today).

With regards to the growning popularity, I think Madmen may have something to do with it...

I wear mine in much the same position as you. The position does seem to be very individual as some wear it very close to the bottom, and as you said other wear it very close to their neck.

Trend Setter
    I have a couple. I wear them around the third button from the top or wherever it fits the width of tie the best.
    "There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about."

Jay

Style Icon
    I'm not really a fan, They just add clutter to a suit in my opinion. I like simple and elegant with as little bling as I can and the tie bar is just too much bling. Plus, I'm a huge fan of the pocket square (the simple square fold) and once you start adding too many items to suits all in a similar area, it really begins to feel cluttered indeed.

A simple classic watch and plain as plain silver cufflinks is as much bling as I can be doing with to accessorise a suit.

Fashionisto
    I like them. Halfway down the tie looks right to me. As you say not much point if it's too high.

Sam

Style Icon
    I'm told that the fifth button on your shirt is around where you want your tie bar, and that always looks right to me!
    But usually I let the break of the suit dictate where my tie bar goes. They're cool with a simple look but I think you should usually stop short of all the trimmings; I'd be wary of wearing one with a pocket square, and a three piece! Also think they're also more suited to slimmer ties. And that they should be utilitarian rather than ornate. But they are cool. Definitely Mad Men.

Tom

Trend Setter
    I like them too, the problem I find is it's pretty difficult to find a plain and simple skinny tie pin for a reasonable price.

Fashionisto
    I always wear one now and feel bereft without one.

Trend Setter
    Next have a nice one for skinny ties, i saw it in a window display at the weekend.

Tom

Trend Setter
    Buy Brushed Tie Bar And Cufflink Set from the Next UK online shop That one by any chance? I picked one up when I bought one of their modern heritage suits a while back but it's still a bit long and overhangs the tie. Having said what i did the other day I was in M&S the other day and spotted a fairly decent sized one in there but no idea how it fares up against an actual tie, something I was going to go back and try. http://www.marksandspencer.com/Limit..._rd_s=center-3

+ Reply to Thread