FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

Your Essential Casual Shirts

I'm going shopping in the next couple of days (I mean REAL shopping, none of this piddling around) and just realised how low I am on casual shirts. I've got to the stage in my life where I feel much more comfortable in a shirt and my old print and scoop tees are starting to make me feel rather queasy when I look at them.

What casual shirts could you guys not live without? I own a light blue oxford and a couple of denim ones, although they're not great. This is to help me while browsing but also just out of interest to see what other people are into. Though if you are suggesting stuff for me personally, I'm looking for shirts under £50.

So fire away!

FashionBeans Staff
    I have a miserable number of shirts and I intend to buy more, here is my list of owns and current wants:

Light Blue oxford
    White Oxford
    Blue Check Shirt
    Red Check Shirt
    Red and White Gingham
    Blue and Red/Pink Chambray.

Fashionisto
    If i had to compress my shirt collection down to basics, it'd have to be 3:
    Denim Shirt
    White Oxford
    Blue and Navy Gingham

But im really looking for a cord shirt now, and this caught my eye Cord Hunting Shirt but it's out of stock, as everything i want in sales seems to be. Sale gods aren't on my side.

Jay

Style Icon
    You've got two of the basics: the light blue oxford and denim (although I prefer chambray to denim as it's more versatile)

The only others I'd consider essential are:

a white long sleeved cotton (I prefer an Oxford weave, but it's not necessary)
    a couple of plaid shirts in whatever colours match the rest of your wardrobe

Trend Setter
    Check out cos, if possible, im starting to shirt it alot more, and found the fit on some of the shirts really nice and some great details.

Style Icon
    Where did you guys all get your denim shirts? I'm looking for a light blue, really smart one that will actually work with smarter looks. Under £50 would be preferable.

Jay

Style Icon
    I'd recommend you go chambray rather than denim if you want to smarten up a little (although both shirts will do smart/casual and not proper smart). I bought the shirt in the link below recently in the Allsaints sale (from £75 to £37.50 is a bargain). It's slightly 'bluer' than the photos suggest and very denim looking, but lighter and slightly smarter, but with great workwear touches such as the placket tab.

AllSaints Freestone L/s Shirt

Style Icon
    No joke Jay, I was literally looking at that shirt right now and was about to post it on here and ask for everyones opinions. Yeah its lovely. I've never ordered from AllSaints before, whats your advice on the sizing? I'm a medium in Topman

Style Icon
    Don't worry about sizing, wacked out the Tape measure and a medium should be alright. BOUGHT. Thanks man.

Jay

Style Icon
    I find that the Allsaints shirts are true to size (and in a slim fit). I take a small usually and an S fits me beautifully. It's a lovely shirt and an absolute bargain.

+ Reply to Thread