FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Cowboy Fashion

I just finished watching the movie "Appaloosa", with Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen. It was a pretty solid movie, but what I was struck most by was how similar the cowboy fashion depicted there was to the style which I'm currently working on! In particular, Viggo Mortensen's character. I know Town and Country and Heritage are popular styles now, but has anyone outside of the US ever tried to pull off American Cowboy? For example (in the middle),

I think that if you lose the guns/holster and the silver star, replace the pants with jeans or chinos, and switch the boots to something ankle high, you have a look that would look great on a Saturday night in the city. Keeping the hat retains the cowboy look, in my opinion, without being too over-the-top. What do you think? Would this style look out of place in a Parisian cafe? Where is the essence of the style located? The hat, the knee boots, the belt, the guns, or all of them together?

Trend Setter
    Cowboy hat?!? made me smile!
    You Must Create

I wouldn't wear the cowboy hat personally, but the rest of what you describe would be cool.

It wouldn't be unusual to see someone sporting such a hat in London, Paris or NYC, though, and I believe such hats are currently "on-trend"

FashionBeans Staff
    You'd probably find that a look developed on those principles would end up more work wear than cowboy; although work wear is essentially what makes the cowboy look. I think the hat and the high boots are what makes that look cool, it wouldn't work quite so well without them.

Its the kind of thing that could potentially come over as a very well thought out and well executed fancy dress get up.

Style Icon
    I'm with Will: like a few of the more extreme heritage looks and preppy looks, this could come over very costumey.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

I think it's the boots in that image that realy carry the whole outfit. I think that style of trouser would look good in a slimmer fit. The layering is spot on. I think instead of replicating that image, which in all honesty would look abit to 're-enactment chic', draw inspiration from the colour ways used, and particular focus on the accesories highlighting on areas to draw visual interest; the buckles, belt, badge etc.
    twitter.com/mattfarndale

'Simplicity in character, in manners, in style; in all things the supreme excellence is simplicity'
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Trend Setter
    Ah, I hadn't thought of work wear, but I guess you're right. Using a set of work boots there would really emphasize that, and that's what I was thinking about using. Maybe I'll have to go with the brogue boots after all!

Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post
    You'd probably find that a look developed on those principles would end up more work wear than cowboy; although work wear is essentially what makes the cowboy look. I think the hat and the high boots are what makes that look cool, it wouldn't work quite so well without them.

Its the kind of thing that could potentially come over as a very well thought out and well executed fancy dress get up.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfarndale View Post
    I think it's the boots in that image that realy carry the whole outfit. I think that style of trouser would look good in a slimmer fit. The layering is spot on. I think instead of replicating that image, which in all honesty would look abit to 're-enactment chic', draw inspiration from the colour ways used, and particular focus on the accesories highlighting on areas to draw visual interest; the buckles, belt, badge etc.
    I agree, the laying is really good in that look. I feel that's something I need to work on a bit, as well as the accessories. I think that particular outfit is a bit over-the-top on the accessories for me, but including one or two would sharpen my look up a bit.

+ Reply to Thread