FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Tom

Trend Setter
    Cheers for that, appreciate it. I had a look at some bags in Debenhams that seems about right then checked the sizes out online and they're mostly between 13 and 16 inches so i'll go for the 15, seems a good balance of being practical without being a portable black hole for receipts and pens.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post
    Is that a macbook 15" ?

I absolutely love the look of the Overlander satchels but I'm slightly worried about practicality and size. I'm guy of fairly small stature (176cm slim built), so I'm mainly considering the 13" bag wouldn't you agree?

Is there room for your mac and a sizeable textbook in your 15" one?
    I regularly carry my macbook pro (15") inside a carry case plus power cable, stacks of paper and documents, portable harddrive (in a case), wallet, keys with no problems at all.

I'm only 5'7" and don't find the 15" satchel feels too big on me at all.

Fashionisto
    Ok brilliant, thanks Jay. I'll get the 15" one then.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Cambridge Satchel Company. Everything just looks so new. Leather satchels are meant to be old and battered, which is why I prefer Scaramanga. Their satchels are far more authentic. I wouldn't be without mine.
    Finally going to make a bag purchase and going to go for the 15" Scaramanga satchel based on your recommendations. Do you recommend the new leather or the distressed leather option?

Thanks
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

Nat

Style Icon
    I've got the 15" Scaramanga satchel with the front pocket. It's ace - looks great and such good value, so good choice mate.

In terms of which kind of leather, I think it very much depends on your overall look, and when you are going to be using it. I've already got a smart brown leather satchel/case for work, so I specifically bought the scaramanga one for my casual days. I opted for the distressed leather one for that reason. It still works with smart-casual, though I wouldn't use it for work.

I think at some point I will get the polished tan one aswell though!

Trend Setter
    My bag arrived from Scaramanga today and I couldn't be more disappointed. The bag was covered in a sheet of dust, as if it had been in storage for years. The leather is tough, dry and cracking with dark spots and imperfections, including a pinhole beside the logo. The stitching is sloppy and there are numerous scratches and chips on the bag.

Needless to say, I’ll be returning the bag. I’m unsure however, if I should request a replacement or a refund. I attach some images of the many defects. I understand that some manufacturers would say that these are characteristics of leather but a bag of this standard wouldn’t get through the quality control procedures of most leather goods companies.

With so many good reviews on this forum, I'm as surprised as I am disappointed. Has anyone else noticed any of these problems? Am I being harsh?

Last edited by electroRoss; 31-05-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

Tom

Trend Setter
    When I ordered mine with instructions they were helpful and sent exactly what I was after, so i'd definitely email them for a replacement and get them to take a look at it first before it gets posted which may not have happened with the one youve got.

Trend Setter
    Cambridge Satchel - The Classic and let time give it character.
    "There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about."

Jay

Style Icon
    If you're after something more pristine, then a Scaramanga is probably not for you. They are quite rough and ready and, for me, that's a part of their charm.

The dust and photo 3 are a bit out of order, but I think you'll find those little defects on all of their bags to be honest.

Having seen this, I've just given my bag the once over and have noticed the stitching on the underneath of shoulder strap is coming badly away after a year or two of carrying a heavy laptop and the like in it. I expect it might last another two years, which ain't great.

I feel a bit bad that I'm one of those who recommended them too (and until I'd given it a closer inspection was very happy with mine). After this one gives up the ghost I won't get another despite how much I love how they look.

I found a great lightweight good looking Herschel bag. Perfect for the summertime! HERSCHEL SURVEY 12OZ CANVAS BAG > Mens > Accessories > New - Socialbliss

Let me know what you think! About 40 pounds.

+ Reply to Thread