FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First ... 2 3 4 5 Last

Trend Setter
    I love the look of Herschel bags, but a friend has the 'little america' backpack and it is coming apart at the seams within a couple of months. She emailed them and they were very good and sent a replacement, but when you consider this bad costs around 80 then that is not great.

I have an an ASOS backpack, and that has broken within a month or so, have just emailed them about that, so we'll see.

I have a scaramanga satchel and agree that there are imperfections and that is part of the charm, but also they are on the cheap side as leather satchels go, one could pay considerably more!

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    If you're after something more pristine, then a Scaramanga is probably not for you. They are quite rough and ready and, for me, that's a part of their charm.

The dust and photo 3 are a bit out of order, but I think you'll find those little defects on all of their bags to be honest.

Having seen this, I've just given my bag the once over and have noticed the stitching on the underneath of shoulder strap is coming badly away after a year or two of carrying a heavy laptop and the like in it. I expect it might last another two years, which ain't great.

I feel a bit bad that I'm one of those who recommended them too (and until I'd given it a closer inspection was very happy with mine). After this one gives up the ghost I won't get another despite how much I love how they look.
    Thanks for that honest comment Jay.

I have decided to return the bag and not ask for a replacement. I am considering other options, including the Cambridge Satchel Company and a Mulberry bag from a very different price range Mulberry - Luxury English Fashion
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

Fashionisto
    ive always liked the look of these:

Briefcase Thin

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I love the look of Herschel bags, but a friend has the 'little america' backpack and it is coming apart at the seams within a couple of months. She emailed them and they were very good and sent a replacement, but when you consider this bad costs around 80 then that is not great.

I have an an ASOS backpack, and that has broken within a month or so, have just emailed them about that, so we'll see.

I have a scaramanga satchel and agree that there are imperfections and that is part of the charm, but also they are on the cheap side as leather satchels go, one could pay considerably more!
    You have had some bad luck with bags my friend!

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by electroRoss View Post
    Thanks for that honest comment Jay.

I have decided to return the bag and not ask for a replacement. I am considering other options, including the Cambridge Satchel Company and a Mulberry bag from a very different price range Mulberry - Luxury English Fashion
    If I were spending money (and we're still talking way less than the Mulberry), J Crew would be my first choice. These two are both awesome:

Trend Setter
    I really like the Ted Baker bag - still has that destroyed leather look. Although, loving those J Crew ones!
    Last edited by K9MT; 01-06-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by princeoftherodeo View Post
    ive always liked the look of these:

Briefcase Thin
    100 year warranty, haha.
    "There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about."

Trend Setter
    Speaking as someone who owns a Cambridge Satchel Company bag (classic tan one), I can definitely vouch for their quality. I've had mine for around two years and while it's had a fair amount of use it's never broken and there are hardly any marks on it. The leather is quite hardy, I was expecting it to soften somewhat but it's remained firm. I expect over a long period of time it'll age naturally and the wear and tear will add 'character' rather than looking poorly made.

I did however notice that the only other people I met with them were girls, and sometimes I felt the thinness of the strap makes the bag look quite effeminate. Saying that, I've had plenty of compliments from both sexes about the bag! As a student the bag's great and I rotate between that and a Herschel 'Little America' bag (haven't had any problems with the quality like you mentioned). Good luck choosing, hope my two cents was somewhat helpful!

Fashionisto
    i bought the laptop sleeve - its remarkably good quality - i cant see it lasting 100 years of hardcore abuse, but it would last ages i reckon. The leather is thick, and tough, stitching seems good. I want to get the duffel bag - i just cant justify 700 bucks for a whim. I think i need some more overtime lol

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Speaking as someone who owns a Cambridge Satchel Company bag (classic tan one), I can definitely vouch for their quality. I've had mine for around two years and while it's had a fair amount of use it's never broken and there are hardly any marks on it. The leather is quite hardy, I was expecting it to soften somewhat but it's remained firm. I expect over a long period of time it'll age naturally and the wear and tear will add 'character' rather than looking poorly made.

I did however notice that the only other people I met with them were girls, and sometimes I felt the thinness of the strap makes the bag look quite effeminate. Saying that, I've had plenty of compliments from both sexes about the bag! As a student the bag's great and I rotate between that and a Herschel 'Little America' bag (haven't had any problems with the quality like you mentioned). Good luck choosing, hope my two cents was somewhat helpful!
    Same thing with the 'girl bag' thing. I've got a female friend who also has one and so everyone goes 'ooo, isn't that a girls bag?'. I just reply 'you're just jealous because yours is made of plastic and from River Island'
    "There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about."

+ Reply to Thread
First ... 2 3 4 5 Last