FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Skinny Ties vs. Thicker Ties?

Hi all.

Am new to the formal scene, and was wondering what your thoughts were on skinny ties and thicker ties ? I tie the half windsor (like the thick triangle at the top of the shirt) and it looks bettter with a thicker tie.. is there a situation for either or can both work ?

Also, i have a tie pin/bar, just normal silver, how far down the tie do i wear it roughly, and also, with a thicker tie it covers the whole thing, however with a skinnier tie it doesnt, does this matter?

sorry that its all such silly little things, they probably arent noticeable but they matter to me:P help is hugely appreciated

Fashionisto
    If you are looking at ties for work,avoid skinny ties. I don't know in what branch are you, but for solicitors it is a big NO as it seems less professional.

When it comes to tie pin, any picture on internet can give you idea, it shouldn't be on half the tie but slightly upper as you don't want to cover it when you button your jacket.

Fashionisto
    I think the width of the tie should also be dependent on your frame. I have a slender frame and can only wear slim ties (not skinny, I don't think they are suitable for work, just my opinion) as thicker ties look completely out of proportion.

I always wear my tiepin between the third and fourth shirt button.

Jay

Style Icon
    You are right in that a half-windsor is too much for a skinny tie. A simple four in the hand (less formal and asymmetrical) or pratt/shelby knot (more formal and symmetrical) suits one better. A skinny is not really work wear. However, a slimmer tie is absolutely fine. A skinny is approx. 4cm across at the widest part and a traditional tie about 7-8cm (although this can vary a lot). I wear very slim fit suits for work with narrow lapels so wear narrow ties that are about 6cm at the widest part. They work perfectly in a formal situation and suit a pratt/shelby or even a half windsor depending on the slapel size and shirt collar (so much to consider).

Traditionally a tie bar or pin is worn between the fourth and fifth shirt button down and should be about 3/4 of the width of the tie, so a tie bar thicker than the width of a tie is a definite no go.

+ Reply to Thread