FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last
    Nat

Style Icon

Hipsters

Ok Beaners. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this. I'm sure we've all come across this rare urban species before, either in person or through the media... the Hipster. Difficult to define precisely, but, in the eyes of some, characterised by a pretentious consumerist anti-consumerism, they conform to their common desire to not conform, they are fashion-forward but sneer at following trends, and seem to spend huge amounts of time and effort in an attempt to look like they don't care (not that I have an issue with hipsters, obviously...).

My question is this - our image-obsession, our desire to stand out and not conform, but also be trend-aware, our desire to be fashion-forward, and look good, without appearing try-hard...... how close do we sail to the line? Could we ever be mistaken for belonging to this group? If so, is that ok? If not, why not?

Trend Setter
    Honestly, I've never understood the disdain for the hipster that most people tend to evince. Looking at how hipsters define themselves, it's a group of people with an interest in fashion, vintage items, and independent culture (art/music/film). That sounds like a pretty cool group!

I think the problem comes in with the attitude that you suggest in your first paragraph: smugness and/or elitism. It seems to me that when people use "hipster" as an insult, they are referring to that attitude of looking down your nose at anything mainstream, regardless of the inherent value in that item. Or they are suggesting that you're willing to pay crazy prices for mundane items. If you walk around with a smile on your face and genuine interest in people around you, I don't think there is a chance that you will ever be mistaken for a "hipster", even if you share a lot of the same fashion sense.

I think that the term "hipster" and what it represents is pretty vague. Obviously a group of people with an interest in fashion, vintage items, and independent culture can't justifiably seen as a bad thing.

To me, it's the clichés that are so risible. The guys you see with little moustaches, riding their fixies, with turn-ups in their skinny jeans showing their white socks. That combined with the holier-than-thou attitude just makes for a bad tasting paradigm.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    I think that the term "hipster" and what it represents is pretty vague. Obviously a group of people with an interest in fashion, vintage items, and independent culture can't justifiably seen as a bad thing.

To me, it's the clichés that are so risible. The guys you see with little moustaches, riding their fixies, with turn-ups in their skinny jeans showing their white socks. That combined with the holier-than-thou attitude just makes for a bad tasting paradigm.
    Quoted for truth! I was literally about to post something exactly along these lines aha.

Trend Setter
    I don't believe in Hipsters

Style Icon
    I have a complex relationship with these oxfam-dwelling, mustache sporting urbanites. On one hand, I despise them, but on the other, I am often referred to as one by my friends.

And in fairness, who can blame them? I do tend to turn my nose up at things that the masses like, whether that be drop crotch jeans or One Direction, but isn't that fair enough? After all, those things are awful. However, the difference is that I don't regard all things in the mainstream as being inherently bad. The way I dress is actually quite minimalistic and classic when you boil it down, it's just that in a world dominated by print shirts and charity shops jumpers, some consider my more classic approach to make quite a statement.

My guess is that nearly everyone, and especially alot of the people on this forum, make some decision in their life to be different in some way. Where that decision crosses over into hipsterdom is an interesting debate...
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nath6644 View Post
    I have a complex relationship with these oxfam-dwelling, mustache sporting urbanites. On one hand, I despise them, but on the other, I am often referred to as one by my friends.
    It's funny that this happened to me yesterday. I just got a new pair of glasses (prescription) with black plastic frames. A friend described them as "pretty hipsterish." I would have to agree, in particular with the black hat I like to wear (Daks, similar to a small-brimmed mesh fedora) and the grey-striped shirt. So long as I stay away from more of the cliches and the attitude, I think I'll be okay. I am going to pay more attention to how people interact with me, though, and see if I notice anything different.

Trend Setter
    In my mind I associate hipsters with an annoying superiority complex / general snobish attitude which i don't like. "I was into [blank] before [blank]" abnd that sort of thing. But then a friend recently suggested that the group of us having dinner together were all a bit hipsterish, and me especially! I think 'hipster' is sometimes used as a label for anyone who is wearing something a bit different to everyone else, or has made an effort in some way.

All i got to say is that if somebody dresses a different way than you do don't call them a HIPSTER.

Second- When somebody calls me a (HIPSTER) i just take it as a complement.

Trend Setter
    I don't even think they exist, it's not even a properly formed subculture. It's an amalgamation of a number of different social groups. The whole skinny jeans white sock crowd are just part of the youth that grew up with Topman being their primary source for clothing. Ultimately the whole looking down the nose thing is unattractive quality in any person and I don't know why the stereotypical hipster looking person is picked on for doing this most frequently cause mostly the judgmental attitudes are directed towards these people because they are seen as different.

I know a number of people who'd label this community hipster merely for caring about their appearance and posting outfit selfies online.

+ Reply to Thread