FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Short-Sleeve Shirts

Hello FBers. I've noticed that I have some shirts which need to be retired, so I'm in the process of looking for some replacements. Most of them are short-sleeved. I'm seriously considering replacing them with long-sleeved shirts and abandoning the concept of "short-sleeved" all together. I can always roll up the sleeves in hot weather, right? I've read a few articles on FB about this, and some people support this idea (in particular one writer here seemed opposed to short-sleeves, although I get the feeling he is starting to change his mind). What do you think? Should I get rid of all of them? Should I keep a few in certain styles (e.g. polo shirts)? Or should I always wear short-sleeved shirts in the summer? I do have two button-down short sleeved shirts that I will be keeping, but other than that anything is possible.

Nat

Style Icon
    For me, it depends on the style. For example, I cannot stand it when people wear short sleeve shirts in a smart setting. Trousers, short sleeve shirt and a tie... Dude, you look like Homer Simpson. Even in a smart-casual setting I would rather opt for a button down oxford or something. Just seems so much more refined, as well as versatile (as you said, if you're hot, roll your sleeves).

I have a few short sleeved shirts, but I save them for a casual summer look. On holiday in Italy? Chino shorts, nice fitting short sleeve shirt and a pair of loafers will do me nicely. Apart from that, I'm not a fan.

Polo shirts are a different matter though.

Fashionisto
    Not in a formal or work setting, however causally it can look great! For example:

Joel.

Trend Setter
    For me, short sleeves are strictly casual and NEVER with a tie, ever. I like short sleeve shirts with chinos, perhaps with the sleeves rolled up a little further too

Trend Setter
    I guess I have to agree with y'all: okay in a casual setting, not in a work setting. I should probably pick up a polo shirt, and maybe I'll pick up one other short-sleeve, but I think that will be enough. Now I just have to find some nice long-sleeved shirts to replace my old short-sleeves with!

+ Reply to Thread