FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Advice On Buying a Suit

Hi, am new to posting on these forums after lurking for a while. Love the FB site and have got some really useful advice here upgrading my wardrobe and style.

I'm currently shopping for a new suit in the sales. I only own one other suit, a hastily purchased M&S one that only makes appearances for the odd wedding or funeral. The principal reason i'm buying a new suit now is because I have a smart wedding to go to in June and am now wanting to wear the M&S one for it!

So, I have bought this suit from Reiss so that I can try it on at home.
    REISS Mens Farley Mid Blue 1 Button Peak Lapel Suit

It is a nice suit, the trousers fit well (obviously need turning up, as do the sleeves). The jacket is a bit long in the body though, I'm quite shirt, 5'6" so that will be a problem.

A few questions. It describes itself as a wedding suit, but I want to get more wear out of it than that, will the one button style impede this? Also is two buttons preferable for a shorter stature?

In which case what about this?

REISS Mens Heath Blue Two Button Lapel Suit

Thanks in advance for any help!

Trend Setter
    Hi Alex,

Did you buy a regular or a short? How much material are you intending to take up the sleeves by? I'd be worried that this will distort the aesthetic of the jacket if the sleeve length reduction is significant. How long is the jacket on you? This could be a bit of a problem. Would be really useful if you put up some pics so we could comment.

A one button suit will make you look leaner/taller so you have made the right choice in that respect. I think the colour is more versatile than the 2 button option. Just my opinion- based purely on the things that I tend to wear. Lastly, the one button issue will not be an issue with when and where you wear it. I wouldn't wear a one button to a funeral but i think it's pretty acceptable to don one at any other time. That being said, this could be put down to your personality. I'm sure lots of more conservative blokes will say a one button suit is a no go. Then again, I've seen some beautiful one button velvet tuxedo jackets by Lanvin...

Jay

Style Icon
    Sadly Reiss suits are fairly long. I'm 5'7" and funnily enough own a single buttoned navy suit from there (although not the one you bought). It is a little longer than I would like (although the cuffs for me are just about OK). Sadly, there's not you can do about the length of the jacket. You can have it tailored, but you risk ruining the line of the suit completely.

The sleeves taken up shouldn't be a problem though.

Anyone who says a one buttoned suit is a no go is a fool. The one buttoned suit is the height of European chic and can be worn for any occasion that a two buttoned suit can be worn and will create a longer, slimmer line too.

Trend Setter
    Hi Olly and Jay, thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately I have gone away now for a fortnight so won't be able to post pics. I wasn't planning on turning the sleeves up very much, just enough to show the shirt cuffs. An inch or two from memory. I bought the suit online, as they didn't have it in stock in my local Reiss store. There didn't seem to be any option to buy the jacket in short/regular on the website.

Am glad I have opted for the one button now!
    Last edited by Alex; 06-01-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Trend Setter
    one button suits are lovely.

personally i wouldnt take more than an inch off the sleeves as it throws the balance of the suit off.
    Unfortunately its very difficult to get a suit jacket shortened - mainly because the position of pockets will make the jacket look a bit distorted, it can also mess up the shape of the bottom of the suit.

if you struggle to get a suit that fits perfectly it may be worth getting a bespoke one, as the wedding in june you have plenty of time.

+ Reply to Thread