FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last
    Jay

Style Icon

The 'I'm Not Sure What I Was Thinking...' Thread

This is a thread for those impulse purchases that seem amazing at the time, but as soon as you get home you wonder to yourself: when am I ever going to wear this? What on earth as I thinking?

My moment of doing that was in the summer sales this year. In Paul Smith, looking for a pair of loafers, I spotted these:

(much, much bolder and brighter in real life, by the way)

They were normally £240 but half that in the sale. They were beautiful and unusual and a real stand out piece. How could I not buy them?

But I must have worn them maybe three times. I'm either terrified I will get them dirty when out or feel too self-conscious, imagining that everyone is humming Elvis' 'Blue Suede Shoes' as I walk buy.

What would you wear with them (assuming you would wear them at all, which I'm sure many wouldn't)? Normally, I team them with slim beige chinos and a chambray oxford/breton style top but not sure I've got it right.

And what are your recent 'I'm not sure what I was thinking...' purchases?

Sam

Style Icon
    Those shoes are amazing! The Elvis reference is one you should embrace not avoid. Would be for me anyway. Absolutely not a "what was I thinking" I think!
    The look you've got going is similar to my first thoughts - top it off with a nice navy blazer is what I'd do. Push up the sleeves perhaps. I'd prefer to use really dark blue jeans, but if you do that the navy blazer would probably be blue overkill.
    Some things I'd suggest would be white jeans or chinos, but you won't get much use out of them as winter approaches. For a smarter look grey tailored trousers would be a safe choice. They're colourful, and they're suede... so they're absolutely perfect for a preppy look.

Personally these were my last mistake:

Now those, those are much much much much much greener in person. I wouldn't be surprised if that image turned out to be doctored! Point is they're impossible to pair with things. I usually go completely monochrome, with the odd flash of emerald green and mostly using black and white, when I wear them. Doesn't help that they're a wider leg than I expected!

Fashionisto

These were mine, still unsure what to wear them with...

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

Personally these were my last mistake:

Now those, those are much much much much much greener in person. I wouldn't be surprised if that image turned out to be doctored! Point is they're impossible to pair with things. I usually go completely monochrome, with the odd flash of emerald green and mostly using black and white, when I wear them. Doesn't help that they're a wider leg than I expected!
    If much greener they're probably nicer than the photo, because that shade of green looks sickly! I could write a paragraph of how to wear them, but just do this:

Ben

A Prince of Wales check suit from eBay with lapels bigger than my house.

I would put a photo up but I am too mortified.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    A Prince of Wales check suit from eBay with lapels bigger than my house.

I would put a photo up but I am too mortified.
    Just get the lapels altered or wait for large lapels to come back into fashion!

Sam

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    If much greener they're probably nicer than the photo, because that shade of green looks sickly! I could write a paragraph of how to wear them, but just do this:
    I'm afraid, dapper as that chap is, they're honestly more like this:

seems strange to illustrate with a watch, but that's the shade we're talking about

Trend Setter
    Jay, I would recommend you to go for darker trousers, as grey, black, or even a shade of blue (the monochromatic look has been very big lately) and keep the rest of the look neutral. It may be a better canvas for the blue in the shoes, since the contrast won't be as high as with the beige or white chinos and you will feel less self-conscious.

Sam, that shade of green is gorgeous! You can pair them with a toasty brown jumper for a laid-back look.

Trend Setter
    Somthing in this shade:

Or maybe try some deep burgundy

Sam

Style Icon
    You know what that actually sounds quite cool! I'll have to get something in that colour first though. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread