FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last
    geo

Fashionisto

Knitwear/Jumpers Advice

I need some new knitwear for colder weather but most seem to be quite thin. I have some suggestions below but need some advice. I basically need 1 or 2 plain ones and then 1 patterned one.
    Not sure whether to go for some cheaper ones or 1 good one?

I like shawl neck jumpers like this from Topman but not sure how warm this will keep me?

Or there's this thicker one from asos.

And I want something like this stag pattern which abercrombie did last year - they seem to do nice ones but quite pricey:

Abercrombie & Fitch AF Men's Wool Sweater Shirt S/M Navy/Red Authentic! | eBay
    The only thing that seems similar is this: but would prefer just a plain navy stag one:

Any suggestions/thoughts on these please?

FashionBeans Staff
    Natural fibres will be warmer than synthetics so look for items that have as much wool in them as possible. French connection do some decent knitwear and as long as they don't go for the whole massively oversized look like last season All Saints are a good bet.

You'll find retailers release thicker knitwear as the temperature drops, at the moment they're introducing mainly transitional pieces.

Trend Setter
    Seconded for as much natural fibre as possible! Uniqlo do crew/v neck's in range of colours in 100% lambswool and 100% merino for under 20. You can always buy something a bit more "stand out" as well at that price?

geo

Fashionisto
    By something stand out for that price, do you mean that you can get something stand out for a cheap price made of natural fibres or not?

Also, not sure on uniqlo fit of their jumpers? They look quite loose?

Trend Setter
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my post. I meant something other than a plain v/crew neck. So a cable knit or a pattern like the ones you posted, though prob not in natural fibres for that price.

I'm an xs in knitwear generally, and also an sx in uniqlo shurts, but a small in uniqlo knits seems to fit me well. They look a lot loosr and shapeless on the website I think.

Hope that helps.

Style Icon
    With knitwear, as with everything else, I use the triangle tecnique when buying:

does it fit?
    does it look good?
    does it have a good material composition?

If it fulfils two out of these three criteria, I buy it. That said, it's obviously better if it had all three aha.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

geo

Fashionisto
    Yes, I suppose the material composition is fairly useless unless it actually fits well!

I'm just a bit wary of spending too much because I have spent in the past on more pricey knitwear, only to have it lose its shape or go a bit bobbly, despite proper care. And likewise I've had fairly cheap knitwear from cheaper stores which have actually kept shape and lasted well.

Added to the fact money isn't exactly free flowing at the moment (when is it ever?!) I may have to go for a cheaper option or just get one nicer item. Sadly by the time i've deliberated over this purchase, my brain will have thought of the next item of clothing/shoes that I need..it's endless!

Trend Setter
    Just noticed Topman have new lambswool knitwear collection:

Mens Cardigans & Jumpers - Clothing - TOPMAN[688134|207221]&noOfRefinements=1

What would go well with that final jumper the one with the animal/deer print? could i wear a shirt underneath or is it best on its own say a pair of dark jeans

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    What would go well with that final jumper the one with the animal/deer print? could i wear a shirt underneath or is it best on its own say a pair of dark jeans
    A print like that is certainly a loud piece, which means the rest of your clothes should be subtle. I wouldn't put a shirt underneath (or perhaps just a plain white oxford) and would use the dark jeans or olive chinos and brown shoes/boots. Anything neutral. Or some grey corduroy trousers. The texture of the cords makes the outfit a bit more busy, I don't think you cross any lines with it.

+ Reply to Thread