FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Trench Coat - Burberry or Other?

Hi all,

It's about time I got a smart new coat for traveling to and from work, which is suitable for night's out and smart occasions. As with all my purchases this year, I'm looking to purchase a classic, timeless piece. With this in mind, I think that a trench coat is the way forward.

As the makers of the quintessential trench coat I'm drawn to Burberry, with a particular like of one of the coats picked in a recent FashionBeans article - Burberry Brit | Taupe Check Lined Britton Packable Trench Coat by Burberry Brit

But with so many other manufacturers doing them now, at much more affordable prices, do you think it's worth the extra to get the best? (are they even the best?)

Here are some alternatives:

PS Paul Smith | Tan Washed Cotton Summer Pea Coat by PS Paul Smith

Product Detail | H&M GB

Navy DB Full Length Mac - Jackets & Coats - New In Clothing - New In - TOPMAN[261029|207200]&noOfRefinements=1

Thanks for reading

I like Burberry ones, but not the one you've posted particularly. If I was getting a trench, and spending big money on it, I'd want a heavy, durable material rather than a very lightweight one. I can't see that one looking good for long.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    I like Burberry ones, but not the one you've posted particularly. If I was getting a trench, and spending big money on it, I'd want a heavy, durable material rather than a very lightweight one. I can't see that one looking good for long.
    Excellent. Which would you be going for?

Trend Setter
    I wanted a mac and managed to get myself the Allsaints Amend Mac from the archive for around £70. A friend of mine has a JOHAN J.Lindberg mac which is really nice.

I'm not a big fan of that Burberry one either.

Something like this, it is significantly more expensive though

Burberry - BOUND SEAM WORKWEAR TRENCHCOAT

Henri Lloyd had some nice ones recently, I recall

Trend Setter
    I've always been tempted by a trench; but I've said if I'm going to do it I want to do it properly and get a Burberry.
    But there is SO much choice! - Burberry - Menswear - Trench CoatsSo I would go by defining a few things in order to narrow the selection:
    - budget
    - colour
    - single/double breasted
    - length
    - lapels

Just having a browse now the decision is so hard... So if I were you I would go in store and try some on.

Jay

Style Icon
    I'm with Pins. That Burberry is not worth the money. It's 100% polyster for one thing. If you're buying Burberry then buy proper Burberry rather than that one. Out of the three listed, the Paul Smith one, hands down.

I would love a Burberry trench, but as I own two trenches already (neither Burberry sadly), then another one is way down my list of purchases. I've whiled away many minutes designign my dream trench on their bespoke section of the website:

Burberry - Iconic British Luxury Brand Est. 1856

Or, I'd buy this (if I could justify the expense):

I've decided my next suit is going to be Burberry though. I'd expected them to be more expensive than they are.

Trend Setter
    Thanks everyone for your contribution. I need to give this much more thought. It does look at this stage though that a Burberry worth buying might be out of my price range for now.

+ Reply to Thread