FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

Plans For A/W 12

Hi gents,

Just wandering what sort of aesthetics everyone is going for now that the weather is finally starting to get colder. I'm grateful personally. Men's fall fashion is always more appealing to me than the hotter months. My favourite summer attire (white trousers, linen jackets, loafers etc.) is always a bit of a statement most of the time, so I always end up in a pair of chinos and a t-shirt.

This fall, and I'm sure alot of you are similar, the basis for my outfits will be heritage in nature. More specifically the English country gent.

However, I'm very wary of how overblown this look can be from looking at lookbooks. Taken too far, it can become "costumey", only missing a cane and a monocle.

Therefore, this year my aim is to keep it youthful and maybe even a bit rugged and carefree. Shirt's will be unbuttoned, pocket squares stuffed in, knitwear kept casual and chinos replaced by slim jeans. Even my choice of footwear will be a bit more practical this season, with vibram sole brogue boots being my go to for the layered look.

What about the rest of you? Any style revolutions (anyone growing a beard?) Or just keeping things classic and business as usual?
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Trend Setter
    I feel similarly re A/W clothes.

I'm going to be dressing a bit smarter this A/W because of work, though this is only relative, and I still will not have much oppurtunity to be rocking a tie very much.

I'm hoping to get some use out of some brown Loake chelsea boots I picked up on eBay over the spring, though i have not worked out what they go with yet, so the recent FB article was useful for that. I'll be back in the roll necks once the weather gets cold enough, and coruroy jeans etc. I've already grown a beard in expectation of the cold weather!

Trend Setter
    I also feel a fondness for winter/autumn fashion, although things are more equal now than they used to be (my favorite hat is definitely a summer hat, and I haven't found a good winter one yet).

Personally, my big move for A/W12 is going to be different colored trousers. I'm going shopping today for heavier olive green chinos and grey cords. I realized that these colors are still considered neutral (even the olive green seems to be neutral in a lot of people's view), but they are still different from the various shades of brown and blue trousers that I usually wear. I'm not trying to make a statement with every outfit I put on, and I feel that both of these trousers will let me be fashionable without shouting it from the rooftops. I'm also looking forward to heritage and work styles this winter, and I think both are perfectly acceptable for that, as well, especially if I mix in jeans from time to time.

No beard for me! I was considering a goatee, but I'll probably stick with the clean-shaven look for the foreseeable future.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nath6644 View Post
    What about the rest of you? Any style revolutions (anyone growing a beard?) Or just keeping things classic and business as usual?
    Haha - I actually have grown a beard too!

And I like it a lot! Its grr. Lol.

Like you I am also excited for A/W wear. I also much prefer it to Summer. I picked up a blazer in the Topman sale (Heritage range) that is grey / brown coloured and almost knitted. It was 28!
    Really looking forward to wearing it but whenever I try to plan an outfit around it I always come up short of ideas. I don't want to go too smart - but I want it casual enough that I am comfortable wearing it.

It's a tricky one!

But yeah, A/W for me is great as I love layering and experimenting with different colours that look out of place in the bright sunshine months like purple, khaki, browns, navy etc.

Bring it on!!

+ Reply to Thread