FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    geo

Trend Setter

The Fit Of Smarter Chinos/Trousers

I've got a couple of events coming up that call for the smarter side of smart casual. So a suit is not required but smarter chinos.
    What I want to know is whether people think it still looks smart enough and ok to wear quite closely cut chinos in a smarter outfit with proper shoes?

In summer it is a lot easier because I can wear a shirt/blazer and very slim (not skin tight) chinos with no break and loafers and this looks great.

But for the events coming up it will be colder and I want to wear a proper shoe like a brown or tan brogue. Do you think it would still be ok to wear very slim chinos with such shoes, or would it be better to go for a straighter and less closely cut pair of chinos?

By chinos, I do not mean thin cheap Topman style but a proper twill cotton heavier weight pair.

I personally think it is okay as I want to maintain a slim silhouette but still want to like to look classic - so I'll be wearing a Ralph Lauren shirt in blue, navy blazer and then some dark stone chinos - I just wondered other people's thoughts on this.

do you have any examples of such trousers?

geo

Trend Setter
    Well, I basically wonder if people think for an actual event or occasion you can still get away with a very slim silhouette and stay classic, or would be better off going for a slightly less closely cut trouser.

For example, the following from Massimo Dutti seem to be a straight-slim cut:

And these from ralph lauren also look straight:

But then my point is could you still wear those brogues in the above photo with a slim closer cut pair?

For example, this below looks slimmer:

Style Icon
    Keep it slim I'd say. As long as the brogues aren't too clunky, then it will look fine.

Have you considered grey tweed trousers seem as the weather's getting colder? Navy blazer and you're ready to go.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

geo

Trend Setter
    Yeah I like slim fit, but sometimes it seems that slim fit with brogues seems to produce a cruple and ruffle effect at the botton where it narrows and hits the shoe, which can look a bit messy. Not sure how to correct that? Maybe wear them slightly shorter?

Whereas straighter fit seem to just sit over the shoe without any bunching, but then the silhouette's not as great.

Yes, might look at getting a pair of those actually.

geo

Trend Setter
    Like here, the trousers seem slim, but don't ruffle or look scruffy at the bottom:

Wheras in my previous picture, they do:

Is it a case of purely shortening them a bit more to achieve the first look or is it also to do with how narrow they are at the hem?

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by geo View Post

Is it a case of purely shortening them a bit more to achieve the first look or is it also to do with how narrow they are at the hem?
    I think you're right, those do look like shorter trousers. They look pretty good standing, but when you sit down your sock is going to show. If you're going for a casual look, a pair of thick knit socks would look great in that, but at a more formal event I think you'll look a bit out of place, and a standard dress sock will just make it look like your pants are too short. So we're back to your original question! I would do the straight cut chinos instead of a very slim one to avoid the bunching looking out of place, and stick with a standard length.

+ Reply to Thread