FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

FashionBeans Staff

A Brand Discussion - Are Marks & Spencer Now Fashionable?

After reading through the supplement generously supplied with Octobers GQ I couldn't help but notice their inclusion of items from Marks & Spencer, particularly a very fine Cream Roll Neck Jumper and canvas holdall. I recently went into my local Brighton branch to stock up on some underwear (the only reason I currently shop there) and allowed myself a quick browse around the menswear section. I must say I was impressed by a surprising number of items! I am particularly intrigued by their leather bags.

I am already quite interested in their tailoring as it has recently become very modern and fashion forward, of good quality and excellent cut and it is certainly worth investigating, I believe I am right in saying that they also have an alteration service, although this is something I haven't fully looked into.

For a brand that I associate mostly with my Dad and the Older Generation, I find myself increasingly drawn to it (not because I am ageing prematurely, but simply because I like the items) and with the new advertising campaign feature BOTH David Gandy and Rosie Huntington - Whitely (A woman whom I think we can all agree is staggeringly beautiful; in fact myself and my girlfriend have a standing agreement that if it were possible for either of us to have a relationship with her that the other would find it a disgrace to not to be immediately dumped and the chance be taken), I think the pros far outweigh the cons.

So what do we think? Is Marks & Spencer worth our attention? Should we stand up and take note? And is Miss Rosie the most attractive person to walk this earth (irrespective of the fact that GQ have incorrectly announced Rihanna as winner of that title)

Definitely a brand worth noticing. Market-wise yes I feel they are more inclined to the 30+ generation, not necessarily attributing to my dad however. It is one of the stores which is a must for me if I am looking at formal wear, that is suits, leather accessories, undergarments, shoes and so on, (and belts). Their casual is also very smart and relaxed. The image I get is of a business man, successful and who likes to relax in polos and chinos, that's the image I get when I hear the name Marks & Spencer.
    my moon my man

Seb

Marks and Spencers are excellent for quality basic things. I've got several blue harbor shirts, which serve me very well, some trousers and some basic colour cardigans from them.

Beyond that, however, I find them quite limiting. The colour and design choice, while nice, is far from diverse. Dressing head to toe in M&S, I feel, would result in a very dull look. But I've nothing against mixing some of their pieces with items from elsewhere.

Tom

Trend Setter
    While I do check their site when i'm looking for some things I don't often go in, only usually for a coffee and a scone! I did notice a nice couple of shirts wandering out of their cafe today though and intend to go back and check them out. I'd probably be dubious about the fit though so wouldn't hold out much hope of much fitting well but it wouldn't stop me considering buying from there though.

It just usually conveys class and sophistication. Most of my friends would say it's not that fashionable anymore.

HKG

I think it would be possible to put together a simplistic, stylish outfit from m&s. Personally I just shop there for basics, but I have found that the limited collection slim fit shirts fit very well, and are a good quality for the price.

Trend Setter
    i wouldnt say theyre unfashionable - they offer great value for suits and office attire.

Style Icon
    I took my daily-mail reading, top gear-watching, fashion-hating Dad there the other day and bought him his first sports jacket. He loves it and its given him a new perspective on appearences. I also got him a couple of oxford shirts and a burgundy cable-knit scarf. Transformation is unbelieveable!
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

I've recently bought a leather holdall in there for 120 (thanks to 20% off) which is fabulous, and their suits have always been reasonable and well priced, albeit the cut has got sharper in the last couple of years. I really liked the Limited Collection chinos in the summer, fantastic cut for the money. And I am quite dranw to the current North Coast range which works for that rugged American workwear look you featured recently.

Are they becoming more fashionable? Probably not, the kids will still avoid. It is probably a case some of their lines just happens to fit with the looks you have featured recently (Britis Heritiage anyone, an M&S staple!) Maybe M&S are still doing the same old thing, but you Will are catching up...?!

+ Reply to Thread