FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... Last

Trend Setter
    This blazer has reappeared on the topman website: Camel Tweed Skinny Blazer - Suit Jackets & Blazers - Suits - TOPMAN Opinions?

Style Icon
    Contrary to what everyone else will say, I actually quite like Topman's blazers and this one is quite nice. Bear in mind the fact that you will almost definately have to get it tailored, as Topman's fit is very "off the rack", even the skinny fits. But it's a nice smart/casual piece.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Sam

Style Icon
    Categorically untrue Nath; people. as a general rule, come in varying shapes. As a matter of fact Topman tailoring fits me perfectly (though admittedly in a high street, low armhole sort of way) straight off the rack, as do a select few other high street brands. You simply need to find the one that works best for you. Zara is a buzzword of late, and as you describe yourself as lanky perhaps their tall, slim, Spanish cut would suit you well.

As for that blazer, let's check out the composition a second:
    39% Polyester,35% Acrylic,18% Wool,4% Nylon,2% Cotton,2% Viscose

You can do better for 80 by my reckoning - 100% cotton would be better than something predominantly synthetic in my opinion.

Style Icon
    Given the abundance of old tweed jackets in charity and vintage shops, I'd be tempted to consider the second-hand + tailoring route, would probably cost a similar amount for something of far better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    This blazer has reappeared on the topman website: Camel Tweed Skinny Blazer - Suit Jackets & Blazers - Suits - TOPMAN Opinions?

It looks great in that photo, not so great on the website, and I'm guessing even less great in the flesh.

As a rule, I never cop anything that has man made fibres masquerading as natural fibres. If I really like something, I will push to max 50% acrylic / polyester / plastic.

For that money, you won't be able to walk in to a shop and buy a high quality blazer. But patience & TK Maxx will reap benefits, like my acquisition of a Holland Esquire tweed blazer at the same price.

Style Icon
    Pricewise yes Sam, but in reality is the difference completely noticeable? By that I mean that All Saints had a series of jumpers in the AW11 collection which had large amounts of nylon and other materials in them. They were some of the comfiest and softest jumpers I have ever worn, and certainly when it comes to comfort and looks were better than 100% wool which cost at least twice as much from Folk.
    Sometimes the man made materials are necessary to ensure an item is as comfy as the price warrants it to be.

Trend Setter

When I went in store and tried this on I couldn't get into the breast pocket and I think I ripped the blazer trying :/
    That was obviously a faulty one as seems fine in that pic. I got my tweed one from Asos in the end. 50% wool.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by K9MT View Post
    When I went in store and tried this on I couldn't get into the breast pocket and I think I ripped the blazer trying :/
    That was obviously a faulty one as seems fine in that pic. I got my tweed one from Asos in the end. 50% wool.
    Ummm, you know that most blazers come with the breast pocket stitched up so the shape of the blazer isn't ruined during construction or by customers putting their hands in the pockets, right?

Or maybe it's because Topman jackets are cheap garbage without real pockets.

Trend Setter
    Wow, didn't expect so many replies. Thanks so much guys. I haven't seen it in store, and thanks to Sam for highlighting the composition of it. Hadn't really struck me to consider it before.

I might take up the suggestion Black Sheep Boy and have a look in the vintage stores nearby for something tweed, as I'm worried about forking out for something that'll go out of season in a year or so. I think this site has made me obsessed with building a 'transitional wardrobe'!

@Pin Money, I've never gone along the TK Maxx route but have heard about it on this site quite a lot. Is it just discounted high street brands that pop up in store? Because the website has left me pretty uninspired, although I've not given it a proper look.

@Pin Money, I've never gone along the TK Maxx route but have heard about it on this site quite a lot. Is it just discounted high street brands that pop up in store? Because the website has left me pretty uninspired, although I've not given it a proper look.
    The website has a few designer bits, but you need to go in store and hunt around for the real gems. Just remember that sometimes there's nothing, and sometimes there's an abundance of designer clothes, high end tailoring and premium hight street brands (All Saints, Diesel etc). You don't get average high street stuff in there- it's a mix of premium brands hidden among the tat.

Seriously, I got my Holland Esquire blazer there, I don't know if you are aware of them but have a google, they are amazing and cost around 600 normally. Mine was 80 in TK and it's a fine example, and beautifully cut too.

+ Reply to Thread
First ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... Last