FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last

Style Icon

Summer/Uni shopping

Hi guys! About to graduate from high school on Saturday and going to start my summer job soon! super excited about all of this but more excited to get new clothes!
    As you know by now I'm trying to redo my wardrobe from a collection of baggy jeans and copious amounts of blazers.

I'm looking to buy pieces that fit into my somewhat variable style that are good for university (durable and easy to care for). Notes about my uni: it's fairly preppy in general, i'm moving from San Francisco to DC, which means I'm moving from somewhere that has no seasons and is generally chilly most of the time to a climate with seasons that is hot and humid a lot of the time.

My current progress is:
    black skinnies, denim jacket, and some nice sweaters

Current wish-list:
    Nike sock darts, light wash skinnies, and a grandad collar shirt.
    I'll have a good amount of spending money from my job but it still won't be looking to buy stuff in the same budget as you guys
    Thanks for the help (and staying on topic... please?), can't wait to get to work!
    Tasteless Ape
    Health advisory: user owns shitty shoes

Trend Setter
    If it were me I'd just go for something real simple as the climate will really dictate what you can wear. Lightweight kinda sheer t-shirts either plain or some kinda print would be a good starting point. Same goes for shirts, something you can wear casually with a subtle print or interesting texture. Jeans I'd just rock plain black skinnies maybe grey and white occasionally if you've got the swagger. Footwear I'd go with vans/ converse maybe a pair of boots if the weather is tolerable.

And if you need a jacket then a denim jacket like you say you've got would be perfect, or a lightweight bomber like everyone on the forum is picking up atm.

Nailing the fit on everything will be key though especially the jeans and jackets, the denim jacket should fit snug allover and cropped. T shirts and shirts are a bit more generous as flowy/oversized tops are in right now and would be perfect for higher more humid temperatures.

Ill find some pics for inspo if you want.

Trend Setter

Great thing with this kinda style is it's all really interchangeable, swapping the jeans around would still work perfectly fine and different colour t-shirts and shirts also. Just stay away from extremely bold colours like bright red or lime green and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Hullabaloo; 20-05-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Fashionisto
    I'm not sure about the dc weather, but definitely keep a raincoat handy if it rains often. Leather boots would be great too (join us with chelseas). And definitely get a wool coat for winter.

Style Icon
    Thanks for the inspiration pics, I've got some tees but I'll want to pick up some more in some neutral/more sophisticated colors (like ICA's in that pic) where should I head for those?
    I have a pair of leather waterproof boots that are very nice but hard to work with because they're brown leather with red canvas, maybe I'll just get some H&M chelseas cause I'm really not a regular converse person, maybe leather ones. also have the wool coat.
    I think I'll have to work my way up to the white jeans look, I am still pretty new to the fashion stuff atm
    Tasteless Ape

FashionBeans Legend
    Basic neutral t-shirts you'll get anywhere - H&M, Zara, All Saints. Definitely go for leather over canvas with Converse - they'll last longer. Some of the CTAS have mono branding too, so you can barely see the logo (though personally, I don't mind it). They'll stretch out a bit when worn, so don't be afraid to get them in a size that feels a tad snug at first... just be prepared to break them in gently over time.

Style Icon
    I think I am prioritizing chelseas over converse though
    also, this color for the sock darts?

only one in my size
    Last edited by Rosstrippin; 21-05-2016 at 12:31 AM.
    Tasteless Ape

Style Icon
    I'd go for a zx flux slip on if anyone knows where I can get them in US size 9 (size? has them in 9.5) or if it's TTS
    also, opinion on the zx flux?
    Last edited by Rosstrippin; 21-05-2016 at 06:23 AM.
    Tasteless Ape

Trend Setter
    I hadn't seen the ZX Flux slip ons till the other day and in the right colourway they look really smart.

Can't you get a pair using miadidas?

FashionBeans Legend
    If I were you Ross I would:

1) stick to one 'look'. Variety will eat up your budget.

2) stick to certain colours - you could mainly wear monochrome for example, and here and there wear a pop of colour.

That'll keep you on-budget and more likely to look great. Black is slimming anyway, so if you're going for a slimmer silhouette than we've been seeing from you then that'll help too.
    My fashion blog, 24 Pinfold Street at wordpress.
    Instagram: robx4000

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last