FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2

Fashionisto
    In my view a shirt and tie is 'formal' wear whatever the colour just as whatever colour T shirt/jeans you wear will always be casual.

FashionBeans Staff
    Hey Peter,
    I'm with you here, the bright shirt can always work in a formal occasion, here's some examples:

I think the images show how important the accessories around the shirt are to making the look work. The tie colour, pocket-square, cuffs showing, the jacket colour - all are important to consider.

For those not as confident with the bolder colours, why not try floral shirts? Clearly not anything echoing Hawaii, but a nice, simple, well tailored floral shirt could break-up an otherwise boring suit.

Evan

Sam

Style Icon
    Nice post Evan - I think white, pink and blue will take you anywhere.
    When I'm saying I don't personally think bright shirts work in a formal context I'm talking about bolder colours - reds, yellows, all that eccentric malarkey.
    The problem with this thread is that there's a tremendous amount of subjectivity involved; everybody's definitions of and preconceptions about both the word "bright" and the word "formal" seem to vary wildly so it's hard to make the sweeping generalisations that fashion advice comprises.
    The differences are small, in some cases, but effectively enormous. The difference between
    Lemon Washed Oxford Shirt - Mens Shirts - Clothing - TOPMAN
    and
    Bright Yellow Cotton Shirt - Sale Tops - Sale - Sale & Special Offers - TOPMAN
    is massive and would definitely swing it for me in terms of both formality and wearability. The former could work in a massive variety of outfits, formal, casual or otherwise, and would be easy to pair a tie with. The latter, while in a striking colour, would need to be worn with a lot more care, and I would personally struggle to wear it with a tie. (Probably awesome with a navy suit, mind)
    That, for what it's worth, is what I think when somebody says "bright colours." Those that Evan posted are definitely strong colours but, in comparison to my own personal preconceptions, are pretty understated!
    And incidentally, I agree about floral shirts; they're awesome. I'm very fond of the Paul Smith one whereupon the undersides of the cuffs and collar are in a great floral print.

Definitely it's great to get out of your comfort zone and show more color in your fashion style ... I have some sample photos below:
    Last edited by Leah Deguzman; 21-10-2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: added photos

Trend Setter
    I completely agree with Sam. When I think of bright shirts I'm talking about loud reds, yellows and orange. These colors are quite difficult to mix in a formal look, and should be approached only by those willing to take risks. The pics Evan John posted however, are definitely appropriate for any formal environment.

Fashionisto
    The blue on the Evan John reply is fairly bright. The plaid/stripes above I would not call bright.

Trend Setter
    Depends on the look you're going for. If you're looking for timeless style then stick with simplicity, for trendy fashion go for colour. Just don't end up looking like Michael McIntyre.

+ Reply to Thread