FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Men's Bright Formal Shirts

After many years of wearing white/grey/light blue formal shirts I am now getting into bright colours such as purple/red/orange. Some people say that it is good for men to experiment with different colours whilst others say that bright coloured shirts look tacky. What do you think?

Fashionisto
    I have some bright colours for the summer but I tend to stick to white and grey as it is so easy to put a tie with these shirts.

Sam

Style Icon
    The thing is there's very little that's "formal" about them - some men would be lucky not to get fired if they turned up to work in one. That's not to say that colour can't work - I have a pale yellow shirt that is both really cool, and the pinnacle of discretion, and a friend can swing a very bold blue in the context of a smart casual look. Discretion, though, is the better part of formality.

To wear them as part of a casual ensemble though, would be a winner in my book. The smart casual look of my friends simply involves a solid blue shirt, a pair of chinos, some brogues and a nice jacket (more or less whatever jacket you like).

You're also right that wearing a tie can be a challenge, but as long as you remember that you should keep your tie a darker shade than your shirt, to match the width of your tie to the size of your collar, the rules of wearing patterns, and that a black tie is rarely a good choice, then you should be alright. That's all theory though - some things, like, say, a pink shirt and red tartan tie (don't really know where I came up with that from) simply might not look great, even if you follow all the rules.

Jay

Style Icon
    You're spot on there Sam on almost every regard. Bright, bold shirts are rarely formal. I'm lucky in that I can be quite creative with what I wear to work as long as there's a suit and shoes involved. I have a beautiful shirt in the Paul Smith stripe (amongst many others - at 40 or so shirts for work I think I need help) that I wear occasionally, but I would hardly call it casual (and I would never attempt to wear a tie with it).

Mostly thought I wear white and pastels (very pale pastels and usually blue). I will go for a light, fine check/gingham or a simple stripe (as long as its not too garish). And I always to tend to stick with single colours for ties. There's nothing more classic than a navy suit, white shirt and navy tie (or red tie for the presidential look).

Oh, and matching tie width a lapel width is absolutely a must. All my ties and suits are on the narrower side. Being shorter, it creates a longer, more elegant line and an illusion of height (Napoleon complex, moi?)

I disagree with the black tie though. A mid-grey suit, white shirt and black tie is a stone cold classic look (white cotton pocket square with a square fold).

Sam

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I disagree with the black tie though. A mid-grey suit, white shirt and black tie is a stone cold classic look (white cotton pocket square with a square fold).
    It is definitely a good look. When I said I'm not fond of black ties, I meant more black tie with coloured shirts - I always find it strangely jarring, know what I mean? But I think you're absolutely right, a black tie is a good thing to have!

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    It is definitely a good look. When I said I'm not fond of black ties, I meant more black tie with coloured shirts - I always find it strangely jarring, know what I mean? But I think you're absolutely right, a black tie is a good thing to have!
    Oh I agree with you there. A Black tie only really works with a plain white shirt. I'd only wear it with a grey suit too (unless I was at a funeral).

Fashionisto
    The thing is there's very little that's "formal" about them - some men would be lucky not to get fired if they turned up to work in one. That's not to say that colour can't work - I have a pale yellow shirt that is both really cool, and the pinnacle of discretion, and a friend can swing a very bold blue in the context of a smart casual look. Discretion, though, is the better part of formality.

To wear them as part of a casual ensemble though, would be a winner in my book. The smart casual look of my friends simply involves a solid blue shirt, a pair of chinos, some brogues and a nice jacket (more or less whatever jacket you like).

You're also right that wearing a tie can be a challenge, but as long as you remember that you should keep your tie a darker shade than your shirt, to match the width of your tie to the size of your collar, the rules of wearing patterns, and that a black tie is rarely a good choice, then you should be alright. That's all theory though - some things, like, say, a pink shirt and red tartan tie (don't really know where I came up with that from) simply might not look great, even if you follow all the rules.
    I have certainly not been fired for wearing my bright coloured shirts to the office and the majority of people say they like them. I think if you can add some colour and still look smart it can only be a good thing.
    I think there is a difference between wearing a colourful shirt of one colour and wearing one with green,yellow and orange spots!

Sam

Style Icon
    Sounds like a fairly relaxed office, although It's certainly conceivable of course. Then again, perhaps our definitions of bright colour differ. I do think that a colourful shirt is skirting the line a bit, but if you can get away with it then absolute fair play to you! Do you wear a suit to work? And if so what colour?
    I do agree, again, that they look pretty good if well executed, but once again wearing a tie is exceedingly tricky.
    And a brightly spotted shirt? That's just silly haha

Fashionisto
    Sounds like a fairly relaxed office, although It's certainly conceivable of course. Then again, perhaps our definitions of bright colour differ. I do think that a colourful shirt is skirting the line a bit, but if you can get away with it then absolute fair play to you! Do you wear a suit to work? And if so what colour?
    I do agree, again, that they look pretty good if well executed, but once again wearing a tie is exceedingly tricky.
    And a brightly spotted shirt? That's just silly haha
    That was the point I was making - I don't think a spotty shirt looks formal but a shirt of just one colour, even if bright can still look formal enough.

I have grey and black suits.

I wear silver or black ties.

Jay

Style Icon
    Bright shirts aren't formal though. Try working in a formal environment like banking, accountancy and law and wearing one. I'm not criticising. because I occasionally wear brighter shirts for work too as well. Although I work in a professional environment it's not an overly formal one. If I'm dressing to impress clients then I tone down the shirts, but if I want to be more casual I wear a little colour and no tie.

I think the difference is in what we are calling formal.
    Last edited by Jay; 20-10-2011 at 08:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread