FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 Last

Trend Setter
    I'm only 17 but just on the blazer part, you were wearing a pea coat (quite a smart coat) when she first saw you so I think a blazer this time would be fine.

Good luck.
    "There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about."

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by billyreedwah View Post
    I'm only 17 but just on the blazer part, you were wearing a pea coat (quite a smart coat) when she first saw you so I think a blazer this time would be fine.

Good luck.
    The exact thing went through my mind! Plus you can always take your blazer off whilst your sat down having a drink and if she isn't wearing a coat you can be a true gent put your blazer over her shoulders to take the chill off whilst you wait for a cab.

Fashionisto
    You will be fine, go with blazer, as she already saw you in brogues and coat, now you are just showing her that you know how to dress and i think she wont be too surpsires with that.

Jay

Style Icon
    Just wear whatever your comfortable in. What you suggested seems fine. You want to be relaxed and not worried about how you look. She's hopefully on a date with you because, yaknow, she likes you and not the way you dress. If wearing the wrong outfit is enough for her not to want to see you again, then she wasn't worth a second date anyway.

Or just wear tan brogue, comedy boxers, a bow tie and a smile.
    Last edited by Jay; 09-01-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Style Icon
    Definately with Jay on this one. I spent most of this year with a girl who treated me like a fashion accessory: she refused to leave the house with me if I didn't look like the "fashionable boyfriend" she wanted me to be. You DON'T want that. Just go how you feel comfortable and if she don't like it, she isn't worth it.

Trend Setter
    I do often wear blazers in my day to day, but that doesn't mean it is too much effort. You could always go for a tartan shirt, untucked and buttoned including the tie button, with a tweed blazer, burgundy chinos and tan brogues. I would call that smart casual. Desert boots would also be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    The exact thing went through my mind! Plus you can always take your blazer off whilst your sat down having a drink and if she isn't wearing a coat you can be a true gent put your blazer over her shoulders to take the chill off whilst you wait for a cab.
    ...back to your place, with those kind of chivalrous movements!

Given what she's seen you in already, you'll be fine.

I just thought you might not really be a smart clothes guy, in which case a blazer might look like too much effort, like you were wearing it cos you're on a date, not cos it's your personal style...

Trend Setter
    Wear black tie, anything less is under dressed. However, you are with female company, so white tie may be more appropriate.

Trend Setter
    Good recommendations Wintershorts (your second to last post, not the last one ), I do have all of those items and love my burgundy chinos so that is definitely an option. I think, like a lot of you have said, the most important thing is that I feel comfortable in what I'm wearing. I'll try a few outfits and see how I feel. My impression of her from the little that I've spoken to her before is that she's a very easy-going, down to earth girl, so hopefully what I'm wearing won't be the most important thing to her.

if you are not quite sure about the blazer what about a more unstructured one?

I was actually wondering the same thing as this recently actually, I often dont want to dress up on a date too much either!

+ Reply to Thread