FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Trend Setter

What To Wear On A Date?

I've got a date next week with a girl I met recently, and I'm a bit unsure of what to wear. We're going to a local restaurant (which has a really nice bar area) for a couple of drinks, and then probably staying there for food. It's quite a smart restaurant and I obviously want to make a decent impression, but I don't want to over-dress. What do you guys think I should wear? I was thinking of something like a shirt and jeans with a blazer, or chinos instead of the jeans. Any other ideas? Also I have no idea what shoes to wear, will brogues go with the above combinations?

If others want to make this into a general 'what should I wear for a date thread', be my guest

Tim

A shirt with a blazer will do fine, combined with some nice brogues. As far as the jeans go... not sure about those. You might be better off with some chinos. That will make you look nice and smart, but not overly formal.

Above all: wear something that you feel comfortable in, and don't overdo it.

Have fun!

Trend Setter
    When I put a blazer on I always feel at the top of my game... So I would definitely go for the shirt blazer combo with some dark denim and brogues. I would personally do all the buttons up on the shirt and of course tuck it in, also depending on what accessories you have, you could add a pocket square and maybe a tie pin through your shirt collar. The main thing to keep in mind is, do you feel comfortable in the outfit? The last thing you want to be feeling is self-concious on top of the 'first' date nerves. Good luck mate!

Style Icon
    When I go on dates (not a common occurence at the moment I'm afraid, love life is dead quiet), I generally wear:

Casual blazer (tweed or cord for a bit of character if you want)
    A white oxford/cotton shirt
    Chinos (I'd wear some navy or burgundy ones for that stylish edge)
    Tan Brogues

I also usually wear my fringe back in a quiff or slicked back just to show I've made an effort.
    Then again I've been single for the last 4 months despite my best efforts so maybe I'm not the best source of advice haha.

Trend Setter
    Thanks guys, I've got a good idea now of what I want to wear, I think the Oxford shirt and blazer combo will be a good look. I've got a tweed blazer from Asos that I really like so I may well go for that. The brogues is a definite thing, now I just have to try the outfit with smart, dark jeans or chinos and see which works better. I'll report back to let you all know how it goes!

A leather jacket over a shirt/cardigan combo is a good look.

Blazer can come across as too much effort / too nice, women hate that shit. It depends on so many variables though.

Main thing is wear something you would normally wear and feel comfortable in.

Fashionisto
    Take into consideration what you usually wear, or at least in what she saw you. If you usually don't wear shirts and blazers she might be put off, or wont feel too comfortable with you being overdressed.

Although in general girls like when guy shirt on date and jeans are ok, chinos is stepping up, and other garments are from there level up,you know what i mean.

Good luck on your date.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    A leather jacket over a shirt/cardigan combo is a good look.

Blazer can come across as too much effort / too nice, women hate that shit. It depends on so many variables though.

Main thing is wear something you would normally wear and feel comfortable in.
    Well, I imagine some women hate it, but most women I have been out with love that style and generally appreciate the effort.

There's a thin line between effort and too much effort

It all depends on your normal personal style, the girls in questions, and as Mogli says, what she saw you in when you met before

Trend Setter
    True. Last time she saw me I was wearing a fairly simple crew neck fine knit jumper under a pea coat, and then some jeans and my brogues, but that was when we happened to bump into each other in a cafe. Thanks for the further suggestions, I would consider a leather jacket but I don't currently own one! It's high on my list of future purchases, they're just a lot of money for a nice one so I find it hard to justify.

I know what you mean Pins, I don't want to look like I've tried too hard, but then at the same time I think she'll appreciate the effort that I've put in.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last