FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Opinions Please.

Opinions please on the outfit on my profile page. I'm looking for something a little bit different for a sports presentation dinner.
    Last edited by Peter Walker; 15-10-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: error

Style Icon
    I'm not a massive fan of waistcoats worn as stand alone pieces. How formal is the dinner? Do you have to stick to suiting or can you be a bit more creative?

If the case is the former, lose the waistcoat and stick to a two piece. Black will work but I'm not a massive fan of black and pink. A dark navy would work better.

If the case is the latter, how about losing the tie? Undo a couple of buttons, swap the waistcoat for a sports jacket and the trousers for chinos.

Need to know more about the cirmcustances before I can give proper advice mate.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Nath6644 View Post
    I'm not a massive fan of waistcoats worn as stand alone pieces. How formal is the dinner? Do you have to stick to suiting or can you be a bit more creative?

If the case is the former, lose the waistcoat and stick to a two piece. Black will work but I'm not a massive fan of black and pink. A dark navy would work better.

If the case is the latter, how about losing the tie? Undo a couple of buttons, swap the waistcoat for a sports jacket and the trousers for chinos.

Need to know more about the cirmcustances before I can give proper advice mate.
    It is a formal dinner and everybody wears a tie so this is a must. I like waistcoats and thought with others wearing 2 piece suits this would be something different.

Style Icon
    The pink is far too vibrant to work formally I think. If it was more subtle it would probably work best with a nice grey suit, or perhaps navy.

Trend Setter
    The pink shirt/tie combo is a huge no-no for me. I went to a few formal dinners with guest speakers etc at the start of the year, and there was always one person desperately trying to stand out with a shocking pink shirt or pink waistcoat (!!). Its either formal or its not, and that particular pink shirt/tie combo is not formal.

If its not actually formal, but you absolutely must wear a waistcoat, mix it with a white shirt and a nice navy or burgundy knitted tie

I have to agree with everyone, I hate the pink. It's such a tryhard way to stand out.

Maybe a white shirt with the pink tie would be ok, or even a lighter pink shirt.

I would definitely wear a blazer with it - perhaps a light grey blazer with the black trousers and waistcoat? I think that would bridge the divide with these colours and stand out whilst not being in your face.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown View Post
    The pink shirt/tie combo is a huge no-no for me. I went to a few formal dinners with guest speakers etc at the start of the year, and there was always one person desperately trying to stand out with a shocking pink shirt or pink waistcoat (!!). Its either formal or its not, and that particular pink shirt/tie combo is not formal.

If its not actually formal, but you absolutely must wear a waistcoat, mix it with a white shirt and a nice navy or burgundy knitted tie
    Thanks for the help. I've put a new picture up of white shirt/blue tie combo. Is this better?

Trend Setter
    Massive improvement. Mixing in pretty much ANY tie with a white shirt works wonders.. I only suggested a knitted tie as something a bit more "different".

Nat

Style Icon
    Yeah, you definitely need something to stop you looking like a snooker player.

I like Pins' suggestion of a lighter contrast jacket. Whack in a pocket square, and you're good to go.

Btw I didn't see your original picture, but I like pink shirts and ties (if subtle and not "shocking"), but probably not in this situation

Please get a blazer and a pocket square

Better but still not looking good imo

+ Reply to Thread